PostalEASE Provides Easy Access to Change State Tax Withholding Information


The tax man cometh: PostalEASE provides easy access to change state tax withholding information

With the holidays fast approaching, it’s easy to put off thinking about those post-New Year’s Eve credit card bills, let alone worrying about the springtime ritual of filing income tax returns.

But changes to Postal Service payroll and state tax processes may require some employees to update their state tax withholding information.

The Postal Service earlier this year began validating each employee’s state tax selection by matching it with the employee’s duty station finance number. This validation took into consideration any reciprocity agreements with other states that require income tax withholding for non-residents.

Postal employees with “invalid” state tax selections already should have received a USPS letter notifying them of the need to make changes to their state tax withholding information.

The good news is: It’s as simple as going online.

Employees now may access the Payroll section of PostalEASE to modify State Form W-4 data. There’s no need to mail those changes to the Human Resources Shared Services Center for data entry.

To help make the process as pain-free as possible, drop-down boxes and instructions in the system guide users through the process of making revisions. The system also will notify the employee of the effective pay period for the change, based on when the data is entered.

Adjustments employees may make to their state tax withholding information include changing:

  • The name of the state for which taxes are being withheld.
  • Filing status (single, married, etc.).
  • The number of dependents.
  • Additional withholding amounts and percentages (when applicable) to be withheld.

These changes will be allowed only if the state code is valid based on the employee’s assigned duty station finance number.

After Jan. 1, 2011, all employees with an “invalid” state selection will have their withholding tax defaulted to the state of their duty station finance number with their filing status as “Single” and their exemptions set to “0” until they make a change.

Also, if a PS Form 50, Notification of Personnel Action, is processed and includes a change to the assigned duty station finance number, the system will automatically default the state tax code to a valid state with a status of “Single” and exemptions of “0”.

Employees who wish to deviate from these default settings are responsible for making the necessary changes in PostalEASE.

8 Responses to "PostalEASE Provides Easy Access to Change State Tax Withholding Information"

  1. Tashi Short   November 17, 2014 at 10:29 am

    I would like to change tge default settings,but i have no clue on how to navigate my way thrioigg postal ease to do so. Could i please get a little assistance on how to het to it so i can make the necessary changes as soon as possible, i woud greatly appreciate it.

    You would need to call USPS regarding your problem – we cannot assist you with PostalEase. PEN

  2. Lois A. Heyl   March 26, 2015 at 4:16 pm

    I need to change my state withholding and I don’t know how. How many exemptions do I have now? Both
    on the federal and state withholding. My problem is I thought I had federal changed last year, and evidently it wasn’t because there was not enough withheld. I would really like to talk to someone.
    If this is possible, please leave a telephone number. Your assistance is really needed and would
    be sincerely appreciated.

    Lois Heyl

    Ms. Heyl – You would need to contact the official USPS with your problem or concern – PEN is not an official USPS site. PEN

  3. Rick Somers   June 22, 2015 at 1:48 am

    I had my own private Disability insurance which was deducted from my pay.Now that it’s cancelled how can I stop the payroll deductions.My former disabilty insurer sent me a letter and told me they have money they will return to me when the deductions stop.

    Rick – you need to contact USPS Shared Service with your question.

    Go here and find the contact info:

  4. Andrea Curry   October 13, 2015 at 2:48 am

    I need to change state withholding information to nothing being taken out.

  5. Mark Thommes   May 8, 2016 at 4:41 pm

    whete can i go to change my state tax withholding?

    Mark try contacting Human Resources:

    Shared Human Resources Center
    HRSSC/Compensation & Benefits
    PO Box 970400
    Greensboro, NC 27497-0400
    Call: HRSSC at 1-877-477-3273
    Fax: 336-662-4070

  6. Audrey McGee   September 11, 2016 at 8:00 am

    Can any of you tell me if y’all got your W-4s fixed? And how? I am not having any federal at all taken out of my USPS check, and I’ve changed my number of dependents twice on postal ease. And still $0.00 federal being taken out.

    Audrey – you need to contact USPS Human Resources or ask your postmaster or manager to help you:

    Shared Human Resources Center
    HRSSC/Compensation & Benefits
    PO Box 970400
    Greensboro, NC 27497-0400
    Call: HRSSC at 1-877-477-3273
    Fax: 336-662-4070

  7. Michael Roina   March 13, 2017 at 7:06 am

    I have not had any NY city taxes taken out of my paycheck. I tried to amend it on w4 but only federal and state on the w4 form. How can I go about making this change?

    Michael – try contacting USPS HR:

    Shared Human Resources Center
    HRSSC/Compensation & Benefits
    PO Box 970400
    Greensboro, NC 27497-0400
    Call: HRSSC at 1-877-477-3273
    Fax: 336-662-4070

  8. Tameka   September 20, 2017 at 5:59 am

    What’s do you put for special exemption for state tax exemption it’s not letting me validate the form

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.