NALC: Questions and Answers On City Carrier Assistants

Q & A – City Carrier Assistants (CCAs)

A jointly developed question-and-answer document (M-01802) provides the mutual understanding of the national parties on issues related to city carrier assistants (CCAs) – the new classification of letter carrier created by the Jan. 10, 2013 interest arbitration award that set the terms of the 2011 National Agreement. The parties are still in discussions on several other issues concerning CCAs. This document will be updated when agreement is reached on other issues concerning CCAs.

6 Responses to NALC: Questions and Answers On City Carrier Assistants

1. Javier Castro

February 6, 2014 at 5:29 pm

I don’t have a comment but perhaps wanted to bring it up to the attention of all interested. I started as a TE 2 years ago, and now I’m a CCA, yes I took the pay cut just like the others. I used to have Sundays off, which was ok with me since I’m a Vet I know how it was to be active duty. Anyhow, I was always looking forward for Sundays since it was the only day off to spend time with family, daughters and perhaps take care of the house and college assignments and other personal things. Since the Amazon/USPS delivery on Sundays started last November, most of the CCA’s and I say most of them since at least the ones attached to what we call “The Hub” are mandatory required to show up every Sunday with no choice whatsoever to work and deliver the packages. Most of us if not all have been working 7 days a week straight since November and only having off the only following days: Thanksgiving, Christmas day and New Years day. There is no rotation of CCAs as of now to take care of the Sunday delivery. It is always the same CCAs. We can have a Sunday off only if we are sick and need to call in and explain the situation and then need to bring documentation the next day. Another point is that we are getting paid the same regular pay that we get for working on regular normal week days. Most of us are trying very hard to take care of business on Sundays but it is getting to a hectic point, specially when you have supervisors screaming and yelling at us for no reason, oh and by the way, supervisors are rotating since we have different supervisors every Sunday. I just want to know if this is an ok practice? What we need to do to get at least a day off every week? When are we going to get rotated? Is the pay supposed to be the same regular pay for normal working hours knowing that Sunday is supposed to be a holiday? There are even more questions that need answers. Since this program started no one sit down with us to talk about the new rules and regulations for working on Sunday, they just told us to go to “The Hub” at 0800 and get your packages and start delivering. Once you are done with you package route early then you have then to go back out and help the others to bring them back ASAP. I just want somebody to explain to all CCAs what it is going on. I don’t mind working on Sundays, but a day off during the week won’t hurt to give us time to recover, we are human beings not robots, and specially would like to know if we are supposed to get regular pay on Sundays…that’s all thanks for the attention and support.

2. Jame smith

February 17, 2014 at 2:14 am

I feel your pain. I work in Lexington kentucky and regular Sunday deliveries are pushing me in penalty every week. Basically, you have put in annual to get any day off. Talk to you union rep. There should be a rotation among te’s and cca’s to work Sunday.

Their is a lot of confusion on whether or not a cca has the ability to refuse to work if called in to work that day. Shouldn’t ample notice be given?

And what rights do I have if management calls me in Sunday when I’m scheduled to be off and tells me I have to work? I’m out of town on days I have off so there is no way I would be able to work. Management acts like employees can be placed on call. It makes no sense.

3. CCA0531

May 5, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Can a supervisor not award a cca the following week holddown if the schedule already been made? I’m asking because I was on a holdown but the regular came back to work today. (out on injury so he walked in without any warning) Due to him being out on injury and since I didn’t know when he might come back I would request a hold down every week so I can move on to another assignment..He walked in this morning so I was wondering do I get that holddown since I have the most seniority or do the supervisor give it to another cca because they had already made the schedule out? (This holdown started today with the regular carrier out on vacation)

Hi – you need to ask your question at our forum…here:

4. Kristina

May 24, 2014 at 10:44 am

When do CCAs get their PTO payout check? Before or after their 5 days off? I thought my husband was supposed to receive his check at the end of his 360 day term but we never got it. Is there someone I can call that will know?????? Please help!

Only USPS can answer that question – we suggest asking his supervisor, manager, or postmaster.

5. Jay

July 17, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Can a CCA who is currently on a hold down that is not over, be awarded a hold down for a different route??

Jay – we cannot answer union related questions – you would need to ask your union steward or rep. PEN

6. Sally

August 4, 2014 at 8:14 pm

I would like to know if a CCA can take hours away from a Career Employee. The reason I’m asking is because I don’t get 40 hours a week now because I’m a PTF. And would like the hours before the CCA does.

Sally – you would need to ask your union steward or post your question at PEN’s CCA Forum here: