USPS SAYS BAH HUMBUG

USPS Says Bah Humbug

USPS Employee Tipping/Gift Receiving Policy

Every year USPS seems to blanket the news outlets with the policy regarding giving or receiving gifts for postal employees…this year is no different. In PEN’s opinion it seems fine for USPS to give/receive gifts between their management and HQ staff (all year long), but not okay for craft employees.

A PEN reader has reminded us of the following rules regarding this subject.

Employee Tipping/Gift Receiving Policy

All postal employees, including carriers, must comply with the Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Executive Branch. Under these federal regulations, carriers are permitted to accept a gift worth $20 or less from a cus­tomer per occasion, such as Christmas. However, cash and cash equivalents, such as checks or gift cards that can be exchanged for cash, must never be accepted in any amount. Furthermore, no employee may accept more than $50 worth of gifts from any one customer in any one calen­dar year.

You may find this rule here.

7 Responses to USPS SAYS BAH HUMBUG

1. SS

December 14, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Amazing! Satndards of Ethical Conduct For Employees of the Executive Branch? Who else falls into this category? This “standard” was created how many years ago? I’ve worked for 18 years as a postal employee. That $20 doesn’t buy much these days now does it?

2. m ike viehl

December 16, 2011 at 6:56 am

why should anyone tip a mailman for doing his job?they make a great salary,benefits,pension.
    jeez the attitude today is ridiculous

3. NH

December 19, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Some mail carriers go above just doing their job. Everyday since the day our mailman noticed that we had adopted a dog he has left a biscuit for her in our mailbox. It has become a part of our routine and our dog looks forward to my husband coming in with the mail after work everyday, knowing there will be a treat for her. I looked up this article because I want to give him a little something, just to say thanks. It the little things that can make a big difference.

4. Jan

December 3, 2012 at 11:38 am

My carrier is a dear. I ship lots of packages that she picks up from my porch. She is always cheerful, and she also checks on our elderly neighbors. She is so much more than just a letter carrier; she is part of our neighborhood. I appreciate that USPS has ethical standards, but I do think that if I want to give my carrier a Christmas present, I should be the one to determine the type and amount of gift.

5. Deb

December 18, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I agree with Jan here. Our mail carrier goes above and beyond what his job requires him to do. He is friendly and is part of the neighborhood so what I decide to do is my business and NOT that of the USPS.

6. Deb Strong

December 23, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I’m here trying to find–once again–if the USPS has any bona fide program that allows for it’s customers to nominate or publicly acknowledge receiving fabulous service from our carriers. When I asked our local postmaster, he was less than enthusiastic…disturbing!! We have an outstanding carrier who consistently goes above and beyond and is most deserving of recognition. She rocks!!

Deb – I retired from USPS in 2007. I was a letter carrier for over 30 years. During those years I saw many carriers receive letters, from customers, acknowledging good service. All of these letters were mailed by the customer to their local postmaster – he/she then passed this on to the carriers supervisor. You want to try this and ask that the postmaster please let you know whether or not the carrier was informed of your letter.

Rick Owens
    PEN

7. Pingback: Name Of The Game » Blog Archive » Improbable county human resources that I can find.