Working For USPS May Be Dangerous To Your Health

USPS Dangerous To Your Health

June 28, 2010

According to reports released by the Department of Labor it remains a fact that working for USPS may not be good for your health – or at least your body.

Federal injury and illness statistics for the second quarter of fiscal year 2010 indicate the following:
[case amounts are for the second quarter of 2010]

Total Federal Injury/Illness Cases: 53,025
Total USPS Injury/Illness Cases: 21,424
Total Injury/Illness Cases For Non-Postal Federal Employees: 31,601

The above case numbers mean that over 40% of all injuries and illnesses reported to the federal government for the second quarter of fiscal year 2010 are attributable employees of the United States Postal Service.

The federal agency that came closest to USPS in reported injury and illness cases for this period is the Department of Defense with a total of 9.608 cases.

During this same time period there were 4 postal deaths and 19 non-postal federal employee deaths.

59 Responses to Working For USPS May Be Dangerous To Your Health

1. Bobbi

November 25, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Worked for the post office carrying for less then two weeks and acquired tendonitis in both knees. Was fired the next day before I could go and see a doctor. I tried to call off work the day they fired me to go see a doctor, and they refused to let me call off. They insisted I come into the office. My daughter had to drive me to the post office, and a co-employee got a chair on casters so I could use the chair like a walker so I could manage to walk into the post office for them to fire me. For two weeks it took five minutes to walk the twenty feet to the bathroom using a chair on casters I had at home.
    I never had tendonitis before, and it hurt like a dickens….still does in the right knee. And to think I left a job paying $21.00/hr 12 hour shifts for $15.30/hr working six hours a day six days a week.

2. mousa

November 29, 2014 at 9:08 am

Mousa – thank you for posting, but we can not read what you wrote. Please repost using punctuation. PEN

3. shane

February 27, 2015 at 11:30 am

I recently quit because they had me working 7 days a week!!! 9-10 hour days whike walking 12 miles a day.

4. Anonymous

April 28, 2015 at 12:29 pm

It is so sad to hear how ignorant some people are. Yes, there are fakers but you cannot categorize all on the same label as “fake”, what about those who really injured their ankles or their feet or some other area of their bodies, elbows, backs etc. Many people from what I have read suffered ill health from this postal job. I am not a postal worker but I do have family members who are, and they are suffering. They need the job, they need the money like all of you workers. One of my main concerns is why is it that there’s not anyone the workers can go to that is willing to support the workers, and what does the postal union reps do? Something has to be done about this, it’s not fair for all the workers to be so stressed out about losing their jobs if they call out or if they get some injury on the job. The government has to do better than what they are doing now, which is nothing for those postal workers.

After hearing what some workers have to say I would not do this job if it’s the last job on the earth. The worst employees are the POSTAL SERVICE (USPS) YOU SUCK AS EMPLOYEES AND YOU HAVE NO RESPECT FOR YOUR WORKERS WHO ARE WORKING REALLY HARD, THROUGH THINK OR THIN, RAIN OR SHINE, COME HELL OR HIGH WATERS. What do they get NOTHING.

5. ffff

May 8, 2015 at 7:50 pm

USPS….united states postal scandal

6. CB

June 12, 2015 at 5:12 pm

I don’t understand the issue here! When you went to the interview you were told how strenuous the work is. They also told you that you will be working 10 hours+ on holidays and what not, also that you have to walk 12 + miles a day in any weather. You guys did not pay attention!

7. Marcus

July 9, 2015 at 10:12 am

i worked at the post office in Phoenix for 3 months. I knew right after I got out of training that I was going to last very long. I was planning on riding it out for awhile until I found something better but after my 90 day review they let me go. Turns out that was the best thing for me because I did find something better. I now work in an air conditioned environment, with indoor plumbing and actually get to take my breaks.

At the post office, I was always in such a rush that there were times I actually had to pee in a Gatorade bottle in the back of the mail truck, and skip all breaks just so I could make the deadlines they set. They would literally give me 12 hours worth of work, on a route I’d never even done before and expect me to get it done in 8 hours. There were times I would literally run while delivering mail as well.

In my opinion, if you have to go through all that to get your route done on time, then they’re giving you too much work. They really need to restructure the whole post office as a whole, so carriers won’t bear the brunt of crappy management.

8. Gregory Smolen

July 29, 2015 at 10:20 pm

I was a cca for 2 days they gave me 4 hours of training than they said go do half a route by yourself. Do your self a favor do not work dor the post office especially for 15.68 an hour there are better jobs pit there.

9. Blouge Clinton

September 9, 2015 at 12:43 am

This company is certainly not worth working for. The managers at my station were always rushing me even though I was on a new route everyday, and it just so happens that whichever route I was on was “an easy route.”

I was a rural carrier assistant. There are 2 parts to the job: casing the route (placing all mail to each household in a prescribed order) and delivering. In order to case a route swiftly, you have to spend a few days, maybe a week or two on it. Nope. If you’re on a new route every day, you’ll have grand difficulty learning the case for whichever route you’re on.

I was given 2 days of training and tossed into a full route. I had very, very little idea of what excactly to do, but luckily other RCAs came to my assistance. If it wasn’t for the other RCAs where I worked, I wouldn’t have even lasted the short amount of time that I did. After those 2 days, every time I was casing a route a supervisor randomly came at me to “hurry up.” I didn’t have the necessary information on how to case a route effectively at speed.

A lot of the time, there are people waiting for trucks to start their route. Huh? It’s a post office and we’re waiting for a truck… but be back before 5! No exceptions.

I actually called a manager to inform him that I wouldn’t be able to make it back before 7 (that’s when the truck that picks up the outgoing mail leaves) and that someone should come take the outgoing mail that I picked up from my daily roulette route and take it back. His response? “Your route is short, be back in 30 minutes.” Idiocy.

Then the postmaster calls huffing and puffing and said that my route should have only taken 2 hours. How? Imagine a mailman doing an entire route in 2 hours. I don’t care if it’s “auxiliary” route, I’m not going to rush around and end up hitting a kid or injuring myself.

If you manage to become a regular, I’d imagine that would be sweet. You get your own truck, the same route every time you come in, and nobody bothers you except sometimes people on your route will complain. That takes forever though… one gentleman had to wait 9 years to become a regular. That’s intense.

Altogether, I would recommend AGAINST the post office, the RCA position in particular… I can’t speak for any other position.