Working For USPS May Be Dangerous To Your Health

USPS Dangerous To Your Health

June 28, 2010

According to reports released by the Department of Labor it remains a fact that working for USPS may not be good for your health – or at least your body.

Federal injury and illness statistics for the second quarter of fiscal year 2010 indicate the following:
[case amounts are for the second quarter of 2010]

Total Federal Injury/Illness Cases: 53,025
Total USPS Injury/Illness Cases: 21,424
Total Injury/Illness Cases For Non-Postal Federal Employees: 31,601

The above case numbers mean that over 40% of all injuries and illnesses reported to the federal government for the second quarter of fiscal year 2010 are attributable employees of the United States Postal Service.

The federal agency that came closest to USPS in reported injury and illness cases for this period is the Department of Defense with a total of 9.608 cases.

During this same time period there were 4 postal deaths and 19 non-postal federal employee deaths.

66 Responses to Working For USPS May Be Dangerous To Your Health

1. Bobbi

November 25, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Worked for the post office carrying for less then two weeks and acquired tendonitis in both knees. Was fired the next day before I could go and see a doctor. I tried to call off work the day they fired me to go see a doctor, and they refused to let me call off. They insisted I come into the office. My daughter had to drive me to the post office, and a co-employee got a chair on casters so I could use the chair like a walker so I could manage to walk into the post office for them to fire me. For two weeks it took five minutes to walk the twenty feet to the bathroom using a chair on casters I had at home.
    I never had tendonitis before, and it hurt like a dickens….still does in the right knee. And to think I left a job paying $21.00/hr 12 hour shifts for $15.30/hr working six hours a day six days a week.

2. mousa

November 29, 2014 at 9:08 am

Mousa – thank you for posting, but we can not read what you wrote. Please repost using punctuation. PEN

3. shane

February 27, 2015 at 11:30 am

I recently quit because they had me working 7 days a week!!! 9-10 hour days whike walking 12 miles a day.

4. Anonymous

April 28, 2015 at 12:29 pm

It is so sad to hear how ignorant some people are. Yes, there are fakers but you cannot categorize all on the same label as “fake”, what about those who really injured their ankles or their feet or some other area of their bodies, elbows, backs etc. Many people from what I have read suffered ill health from this postal job. I am not a postal worker but I do have family members who are, and they are suffering. They need the job, they need the money like all of you workers. One of my main concerns is why is it that there’s not anyone the workers can go to that is willing to support the workers, and what does the postal union reps do? Something has to be done about this, it’s not fair for all the workers to be so stressed out about losing their jobs if they call out or if they get some injury on the job. The government has to do better than what they are doing now, which is nothing for those postal workers.

After hearing what some workers have to say I would not do this job if it’s the last job on the earth. The worst employees are the POSTAL SERVICE (USPS) YOU SUCK AS EMPLOYEES AND YOU HAVE NO RESPECT FOR YOUR WORKERS WHO ARE WORKING REALLY HARD, THROUGH THINK OR THIN, RAIN OR SHINE, COME HELL OR HIGH WATERS. What do they get NOTHING.

5. ffff

May 8, 2015 at 7:50 pm

USPS….united states postal scandal

6. CB

June 12, 2015 at 5:12 pm

I don’t understand the issue here! When you went to the interview you were told how strenuous the work is. They also told you that you will be working 10 hours+ on holidays and what not, also that you have to walk 12 + miles a day in any weather. You guys did not pay attention!

7. Marcus

July 9, 2015 at 10:12 am

i worked at the post office in Phoenix for 3 months. I knew right after I got out of training that I was going to last very long. I was planning on riding it out for awhile until I found something better but after my 90 day review they let me go. Turns out that was the best thing for me because I did find something better. I now work in an air conditioned environment, with indoor plumbing and actually get to take my breaks.

At the post office, I was always in such a rush that there were times I actually had to pee in a Gatorade bottle in the back of the mail truck, and skip all breaks just so I could make the deadlines they set. They would literally give me 12 hours worth of work, on a route I’d never even done before and expect me to get it done in 8 hours. There were times I would literally run while delivering mail as well.

In my opinion, if you have to go through all that to get your route done on time, then they’re giving you too much work. They really need to restructure the whole post office as a whole, so carriers won’t bear the brunt of crappy management.

8. Gregory Smolen

July 29, 2015 at 10:20 pm

I was a cca for 2 days they gave me 4 hours of training than they said go do half a route by yourself. Do your self a favor do not work dor the post office especially for 15.68 an hour there are better jobs pit there.

9. Blouge Clinton

September 9, 2015 at 12:43 am

This company is certainly not worth working for. The managers at my station were always rushing me even though I was on a new route everyday, and it just so happens that whichever route I was on was “an easy route.”

I was a rural carrier assistant. There are 2 parts to the job: casing the route (placing all mail to each household in a prescribed order) and delivering. In order to case a route swiftly, you have to spend a few days, maybe a week or two on it. Nope. If you’re on a new route every day, you’ll have grand difficulty learning the case for whichever route you’re on.

I was given 2 days of training and tossed into a full route. I had very, very little idea of what excactly to do, but luckily other RCAs came to my assistance. If it wasn’t for the other RCAs where I worked, I wouldn’t have even lasted the short amount of time that I did. After those 2 days, every time I was casing a route a supervisor randomly came at me to “hurry up.” I didn’t have the necessary information on how to case a route effectively at speed.

A lot of the time, there are people waiting for trucks to start their route. Huh? It’s a post office and we’re waiting for a truck… but be back before 5! No exceptions.

I actually called a manager to inform him that I wouldn’t be able to make it back before 7 (that’s when the truck that picks up the outgoing mail leaves) and that someone should come take the outgoing mail that I picked up from my daily roulette route and take it back. His response? “Your route is short, be back in 30 minutes.” Idiocy.

Then the postmaster calls huffing and puffing and said that my route should have only taken 2 hours. How? Imagine a mailman doing an entire route in 2 hours. I don’t care if it’s “auxiliary” route, I’m not going to rush around and end up hitting a kid or injuring myself.

If you manage to become a regular, I’d imagine that would be sweet. You get your own truck, the same route every time you come in, and nobody bothers you except sometimes people on your route will complain. That takes forever though… one gentleman had to wait 9 years to become a regular. That’s intense.

Altogether, I would recommend AGAINST the post office, the RCA position in particular… I can’t speak for any other position.

10. Jim

December 17, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Working for The USPS is as close to being in a living hell as you can be. Their expectations are unreasonable and impossible to accomplish. They even altered the times you can report to work, thus shortening the time you have to deliver. You can’t come in til seven and must have all your mail cased and be on the street by eleven. Impossible…and they expect you back by five. Again, impossible and unsafe. Carriers are wrecking their cars trying to meet these unrealistic expectations. You will not have adequate work space at the office as everyone is working on top of each other as they spew negativity. There is never enough equipment for everyone and the vets know that and hoard what they can, making your job even more difficult. You will be out in every element immaginable with frozen hands and wet clothes. Lunch?? Ha, ha, ha! You will never have the time for this. I lost 20 pounds in my first year. Bathroom breaks? Nope, you won’t get those either. Now the Post Office has merged with Amazon and the package volume is unfathomable. You can’t even fit them in your car or truck, forcing you to make multiple trips on the same route that you are not compensated for. And carrying, arranging, and stacking those packages will debilitate your back and the carefully stacked packages will fall on you causing frustration and anger. Your hours will be unreasonable too. As an RCA you may work two days a week or seven. During the holidays expect to be working fifteen hour days…in the dark, cold, and rain. Hopefully you can see. I couldn’t.
    They want you to case mail in areas not large enough to accommodate the amount you have.
    Your dreams of becoming regular and getting all those great benefits are just distant dreams that may take ten years to come to fruition, if you can last.

11. Suicidal CCA

February 18, 2016 at 6:50 pm

This job makes me suicidal. 16 days straight, being told to come in later than the other CCA’s, racial and gender biases. I’m so damn sick of this job, yet it got me a newer, reliable car, my bills are always paid on time in full, and I have money to save. It’s funny what humans will endure for that green piece of illusion paper. Smh.

-Suicidal CCA

12. Alisa Smith

February 21, 2016 at 1:52 pm

I’m in houston ad a rca. I’m really trying to get faster. I’ve gotten caught a few times at night and had to go out the next morning and finish. Some people make it harder talking about you to each other. You too slow won’t make it. But I’m like hey I am trying and it will get better. If it don’t work out, then it wasn’t ment for me. I did try!

13. cca

February 26, 2016 at 6:07 pm

Alisa,and Suicide cca
    I am almost two months in and I still can’t make time…all the other CCA’s are making it.. The dropped me to 3 hours a day. I know how it feels when supervisor and regulars treat you like your useless, and keep telling you your not going to make it. I wish I could say it gets better, but I am to the point of exit stage right! Alot of stress, and yes they make it more difficult then it needs to be, with all the bull

14. Jess

April 6, 2016 at 10:11 am

I am an RCA. I broke my ankle in three different places (trimalleolar fracture) after slipping on black ice. It was on Jan 31st. I started weightbaring and physical therapy 3 weeks ago. I’m still on crutches and will continue to wear this big boot for at least 4 more weeks. I was an asset to USPS, so I was told by my Manager. I’m not sure if I’ll have a job after I go back with restrictions and my manager see’s how impaired I am. It frightens me to think of this because I am a single mother with 3 kids and have never received a lick of child support therefor I have ALWAYS busted my butt day day in and day out everyday to support my children. ( I don’t even have extended family, its just me). I know I will not be able to fully do my duties to carry out my job even by this this time next year. last Christmas I worked 12 hour days mostly, thanks to Sunday Amazon deliveries. The day I broke my ankle it was a Sunday and I was delivering a package. My thoughts and prayers go out to ALL of those who have suffered through terrible times with the USPS.

15. Richard Karper

April 18, 2016 at 8:56 am

I was a rural letter carrier for four years until I had a complete tear of my right rotator cuff then suffered a 90% tear of my left rotator trying to drive a left-side drive vehicle from the right side. I now have chronic back issues. Sometime around 2011/2012 there was a class action lawsuit started against USPS dealing with the way USPS was trying to force injured employees to return to duty against the advice of medical professionals without having medical personnel on their review board. What ever happened with that lawsuit? No one seems to know.

Richard – I suggest you post your questions in our forums – especially our National Reassessment forum here:

Rick Owens – PEN

16. cally

June 14, 2016 at 2:52 pm

I recently lost part of a finger working for the post office on a dbcs by myself. Now I’m being threatened to be fired. They constantly push people to the limits and break safety rules!!!people do get real injuries working for usps