Federal Administrative Judge has Harsh Words for San Francisco USPS Management

NALC Branch 214

NALC Branch 214

The following was submitted to PEN from NALC Branch 214
Please add comments below.

San Francisco – A USPS letter carrier was awarded injunctive relief, compensatory damages and attorney’s fees as a result of a lawsuit finding discrimination against a disability. In the wake of the decision, San Francisco NALC Union #214 has requested termination of the 5 management officials involved in the case, including SF Postmaster Noemi Luna.

The judge cited harassment, a hostile work environment, failure to accommodate, and retaliation by various USPS management personnel.

Billie Eyeball, a letter carrier for seven years, was robbed at gunpoint while delivering mail. She was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Cleared to return to carrier duties with medical restrictions, she encountered resistance from management. As a result, an EEO was filed and the USPS settled the case.

Ms. Eyeball returned to full time letter carrier duties in 2004, but management outside of her station targeted her. The judge in the recent case cited retaliation for the former EEO activity. The decision by the Federal Administrative judge holds sharp words for management citing “devious actions,” “sabotage” and “multiple examples of abusive and intimidating conduct.” She writes “I am utterly mystified why several officials mounted an intense, often malicious, campaign against her.

Ms. Eyeball comments: “I have no idea why I was targeted except that I happened to get injured on the job and I’ve been treated like a criminal. They tried to frame me. They made up blatant lies about how I handled my mail, and they sent false documentation about me to another government agency, which is illegal fraud. Five years of harassment in theses two cases has cost the Post Office close to 1/2 million dollars and it is obscene.”

The judge noted that management “provided information they knew to be false to the Department of Labor concerning the complainant’s condition …”. According to the USPS Employer Labor Relations Manual “any employee, supervisor or representative who knowingly makes a false statement with respect to a claim under FECA may be subject to a fine of $10,000 or (5) years in prison or both …”.

Shop Steward Audrey Davis, a veteran carrier in San Francisco worked for the USPS in Royal Oaks, Michigan in 1991 at the time of a notorious “going postal” incident that resulted in the murder of four USPS employees. For the past few years, Ms. Davis has been increasingly concerned about safety issues involved in management / employee disputes in San Francisco.  “Billie’s case is part of a much larger problem that affects everybody. Postmaster Luna’s tenure is full of harassment complaints and no action. In October of 2006 employees at my facility, PCA [Pacific Carrier Annex located in San Francisco], requested a Congressional investigation because of management abuse, and this petition was joined by other stations and included almost 200 Union and non-Union employees. In November of 2006, a carrier suspension at 180 Napoleon resulted in a murder / suicide. In 2007, management was called into a joint meeting with people from Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi’s office and Congressman Tom Lantos office. But nothing really changed. The Union has picketed two stations over management abuse and safety issues in the last year, but Postmaster Luna and District Manager Groux have done nothing to stop the abuse to employees.”

Shop Steward Vicki Sawicki from EPC station agrees: “Unfortunately other employees are being treated as horrible as Billie has been. Upper management is not taking these issues seriously and all of our safety is jeopardized.”

Both the Union and Ms. Eyeball have sent letters expressing their concern to upper management officials including District Manager Winifred Grox, and Pacific Area V.P. Mike Daley. Ms. Eyeball quotes a response by Winifred Groux which states she “declines to take action.” “Mr. Daley’s reply was equally irresponsible,” Ms. Eyeball adds. “Unfortunately their inaction perpetuates abusive behavior and costly litigation. They are offering a defense that because the judge didn’t specifically request termination that they don’t have to act, but, of course, it is well known that a Federal Administrative Judge can not request punitive action of this sort, and it is up to the agency to take the action necessary both contractually and morally to stop this abuse.”

A copy of the NALCX Branch #214 open letter requesting termination can be found in the Branch #214 March / April VOICE newsletter and online at www.nalcbayarea.com. The entire resolution and the judge’s detailed final decision will be posted at the website as well.

The Union’s resolutions state in part: “The National Association of Letter Carriers Branch #214 will request in writing in an open letter that management terminate Adam Alvarez, Gary Schrecengost, David Sullivan, Raj Sanghera and Noemi Luna.

50 Responses to Federal Administrative Judge has Harsh Words for San Francisco USPS Management

1. retired

May 3, 2009 at 4:26 pm

An everybody wonders why I retired. My career was over as soon as my supervisor found out I had an on the job injury and had restrictions. The post office hates anyone that can’t do 150% and more. I remember Royal Oak and I also remember how people were dealt with. Keep up the good work at making the USPS accountable.

2. Jorje

May 3, 2009 at 7:23 pm

“Retired”, you are absolutely right. And nobody understands the wrath that management can levy against an injured worker. I delivered flawlessly for 21 years before being slowed by a foot problem. After being placed on TEMPORARY light duty by my doctor, it was as if the previous 21 years did not exist. The harrasement unleashed by the postmaster and supervisors drove me to serious health problems due to stress from the ruthless do-nothings. I was written up for any infraction they could think of, to the point of removal. I trumped them by taking stress leave two weeks before my surgery to repair my injury. As a result of the stress lowering my immune system, I contracted a serious staph infection that required a six day hospital stay and two additional surgeries. I’m on my second round of intrevenous anti-biotics. It’s almost a year since I last worked.
    I tell my story not to whine, but to give an example of how much more money it costs the usps by having uneducated, ego driven, unaccountable buffoons running the show. Instead of me being back to work a few weeks after surgery, I’ve been paid benefits, accumulated retirement and vacation, going on a year. But like I said, it’s difficult to convey to union officials, physicians, family, or anyone else, what unnecessary events that take place when a postal employee goes through when injured. I also work in a southern California office. As an aside, the supervisor that has caused me the most grief, has had more than one sexual harrassment charge against him. The last of which cost the usps a huge amount to settle including a restraining order that kept him from working at the Goleta station. (now some readers may know whom I speak of and that’s fine with me). Great job to you Ms. Eyeball, your efforts may help future brothers and sisters prevail over the stooges.

3. scott the supervisor

May 4, 2009 at 4:11 am

I would have to say that as large of an organization that we are I am suprised there hasn’t been more shootings recently. There are a large number of employees who abuse the system through workers comp. They find a doctor’s office that is interested in making extra money to keep a employee on workers comp and it is a win win for the doctor and the employee. That’s not to say there is no such thing as a real workmans comp claim but it is a very touchy subject that can have all sorts of controversy. As Management goes we should treat everyone equal and in no case harrass a person due to an injury even if the person may seem healthy or a fake. The employee who is a fake is cheating thierself and fellow employees out of money. Management must abide by the policy and not cross the line with these people. The ones that are truly injured suffer. My mother does not work for the postal service. She takes care of developmentally disabled people. My mom has remetoid athritis and is so crippled up she uses a cane and she works 60 hours a week in miserable pain for 10.00 an hour. It just breaks my heart to see that. I know some employees have no integrity and it just sickens me to see those employees sitting on thier rumps making over 20.00 dollars an hour and gripping about everything under the sun. Although it bothers me to no end I still treat all employees fair. This is what should be done by all Management.

4. Allen Carlton

May 4, 2009 at 6:34 am

I have been a National Whistleblower on this subject for about 18 years. State of Texas Supreme Court case 99-565 & supplement. RICO Act and Collusion between USPS Management and USPS Inspector General Office to reduce the workforce by frame individuals. No one seems to remember the series Day One and the crusaders and how the Postal Inspectors were caught framing innocent individuals and nothing happened to them at least not to my knowledge. But of course I know nothing. All this has been sent to numerous Congressmen under Title 18 section 4 which provide evidence of murder to name a few ED Winsten, Randy Pratt, and Joseph Harris. Wake up sleepers the USPS continues to be worst than Guantánamo Bay . Two many years of torture view Violence at the Post Office Jerry Springer Show SO-618-93.

5. Jorje

May 4, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Ladies and gentleman, I’d like to introduce to you “Scott the supervisor/doctor/doctor crime accuser/bad son, extrodinare”. So many hats and only one head. How does he do it? Why he has postal management training, thats how! He’s knows that doctors will put years of training aside and risk their career, for what? For a few extra bucks!
    This is the type of people that craft deal with on a daily basis. In their minds there are so many employees that are on the Owcp roles that it’s impossible to man all the routes in his office. And doctors are so corrupt that they would risk years of schooling and commitment for a lowly postal worker. Right.
    P.S. Scott take care of your mother! Or is she faking?

6. JC

May 4, 2009 at 8:33 pm

Scott the Supervisor is an example of another brainwashed company man. I’m sure you treat everyone equally in your station, even if you think they’re faking an injury. You talk about doctor’s assisting employees with fake injuries. If you think this goes on then you should also mention the postal doctor honks who employees are sent to for evaluation. These doctors will try to get an employee back to work ASAP with improper medical care. Scott, with the salary a supervisor like you gets for constantly harassing employees, why does your crippled mother have to work 60 hours a week? Why aren’t you supporting her? Oh wait, I’m making a judgment on your character, something I’m sure you would never do to your employees. Fool.

7. VP of Real Reasoning

May 4, 2009 at 11:08 pm

“Scott the supervisor” is the typical uneducated, no real world experience moreoff!!! Having over 30 years in the “Real” world of management and now working in craft, has shown me how inept postal managers are!!! Scott states that his mom takes care of developmentally disabled people. He must be referring to himself!!! To claim that “There are a large number of employees who abuse the system through workers comp” shows his incompetence because that sounds like the constitutional terrorists at the OIG…unless he is referring to his own management craft!!!! “Postal Inspectors were caught framing innocent individuals and nothing happened to them”…end of story!!!!!

8. denver

May 8, 2009 at 10:22 am

Amazing!!!! It is Universal. The Supervisors and Managers in the U.S.P.S are doing this all over. I work in the Denver General Mail Facility. The Managers are the worst!!! To name a few. Yolanda Reedy— Horrible,Rude, Wrongful Accusations. She will literally frame you if she does not like you. Constant Harassment. Class Action EEO filed. Absolutely Nothing Done!!! They have to be the most unhappy people with the shittiest lives. Usually divorced. Arrogant and completely incompetent.

9. michael

May 10, 2009 at 7:22 am

congrats to you for staying strong and taking on the management of the u.s.p.s. management are some of the worst people as they harass, punish, and bully you into working while injured. i work at the sf pdc and have seen too many people cripped by some type of shoulder, foot, back, knee, carpal tunnel still abused by management into working and when you file that claim management they harass you to death. no worries management wont take action on themselves but if you as a employee did something wrong they will be right there giving you a letter of warning. no wonder why we are losing 6 billion dollars this year. usps management dont do jack, they are too many of them, they are all on the internet all day or at lunch for hours, and they are incompetent.

10. eric

May 28, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Please post who the attorney or law firm that handled this case..I am having a similar problem

11. postal

May 28, 2009 at 4:04 pm

eric – you would need to contact NALC Branch 214 for the attorneys name and contact information.

12. ilpostino

June 1, 2009 at 7:44 pm

ha ha ha….Scott the Supervisor typifies what we see daily in Postal Management. They will tell us what they Want us to hear, without any regard how accurate it is ( take note of his 2nd grade level spelling skills). The workers who constantly do the least each day are the Supervisors and Managers. How many times can they play on the computer? I guess if you fool with the numbers long enough, you can make them look as good as you want…Like the Mantra goes at our station in Ohio, You can ask for 10 hours of work in an 8 hour shift…but it will cost you a hell of a lot more in the end….

13. fired te

June 22, 2009 at 5:57 pm

ok so yeah im just a te but we have to fight too, esp since union cant help until past probation.
    ive got a case going against another sf area office since last fall over a wrongful termination. the story above gives me support in that im not imagining that the supes lie and abuse.

im doing the eeo case without an attorney. i hear that the admin judges are on the employee’s side. perhaps i will have the same judge who heard this case. and he will get to scold the usps again. hopefuly someday will be changed. how did potter get his role? can it be changed?

everyone fight this stuff!
    its absurd how outdated (mismanaged) the po is. even places like walmart and target calls their employees “team members” and DMV calls their employees “customers” to foster team support, improve service, and in long run save money. why does the po think fighting with employees saves money? it costs more!

my case should be settled in about 3 months. will keep you posted.

14. fed up

June 27, 2009 at 8:54 am

fired te:

Don’t bank on that.In NC employees are struggling with the EEO process.They definitely side for management here.This USPS management has got to go!!!

15. Snowed

July 1, 2009 at 9:15 pm

We should have a national class action on these issues. The day I was diagnosed with sciatica from an on-the-job injury my supervisor basically told me my career would be over. They pulled out the big guns after about 10 months being on limited duty. Almost put me in he nut house. They finally backed off after I threw up the evidence I had against them in an eeo complaint. I’m constantly paranoid, I think I have post traumatic stress. I’m just waiting for management to go on the attack again.

16. Ralph

July 4, 2009 at 9:24 am

I work at the Forest Avenue Carrier Annex in Portland,Maine. We have a level 22 that is so arrogant. He is a doctor,mechanic,phycologist,weatherman,he knows everything. He unfortunately doesn’t know anything. He will make decisions that makes the average person scratch their head. He leads by intimidation. He is a bully,plain and simple. He has been divorced 3 times,he has an OUI,he hates his supervisors just as much as he hates the carriers. This is the kind of man that upper management likes. He is willing to break every rule/or agreement in place,to get the job done. Upper management tells him “These are the numbers we want. We don’t care how you do it,just get it done.” He goes about the task at hand with ruefulness and aggression of a pit bull. He knows that the union will grieve everything. This in turn costs the PO so much money. It makes him more determined to get “those damn carriers” back. The carriers dig in their heals,become less productive. The level 22 responds with his power moves. It’s a revolving door. This has been going on for years in the PO. Who is to blame??? WHO KNOWS?! It’s like the Palestinians vs The Israelis. It’s been going on now for so long that nobody knows who started it. Someone needs to say”Enough is Enough”! This is a good organization. The vast majority are good workers and good managers. Unfortunately, we also have poor workers and poor managers. It’s these poor individuals that makes it difficult for everyone.

17. blas

July 25, 2009 at 8:41 pm

I like your post.

-carrier, Seattle

18. Tired TE

August 1, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Abuse? Investigate this Abuse. “Scott the Supervisor”

In the Post office it’s Not “What you know, but Who you Know”
    I am a “Transional Employee.” 3 years Casual & Now on 2nd contract. I work 6 days week as tool for Supervisors. “Be lucky you have a job.” They Say….
    50+ hour weeks, every day 1 hr PIVOT & Skipped Lunches….. TE life
    I have 2 weeks Vacation time that SUP’s. will never give Spot leave. Somehow
    They play dumb when I bring the form for Doc appt’s or Spot leave, Scedule not made I Resedule or just Take it for the team???? Union help???
    I can’t make Grevinces for everything they force me to do, because it will effect my chances down the Road. One Can go Insane on situation… HELP!
    Now USPS will not give anyone chance to take postal exam. (no hiring PTF”S) I get ignored on saftey issues, & intimdated to do thing fast. BT time is start Street
    Time. No flow chart . Will This Cycle ever End??? Who will help us?
    Bring on Auto flats & 5 day week delivery or Consolidate my office…
    I Guess in the End I will get Cut like the other Postal Temps. I Guess I will stick it out to get my 8 months of unemployment…

19. Snowed

August 9, 2009 at 9:42 pm

It is insane how one agency could do so much damage to a group of human beings and get away with it. I guess that is how the Nazis got away with it for so long. But eventually the word got out and it stopped. I can’t wait for the day the management of the USPS goes on trial for crimes against humanity.

20. 1peace

August 18, 2009 at 8:55 pm

we should all (nationwide) plan a day not to go to work and bring national attention to the prob. We have the power to stop a whole operation but we must be willing. No change comes without a good fight. Management is a bunch of thugs and gangsters. If anyone is willing lets start planning. If bill 1507 is passed we’re screwed! Disabled or Not. We must act now.

21. 1peace

August 18, 2009 at 8:58 pm

There is no need to complain if thats all we’re going to do! because of the no strike clause we can’t strike but we can all get sick at the same time. Maybe those magic doctor’s that management thinks we visit will manifest after all.

22. Manuel B Madrid

August 26, 2009 at 11:07 pm

I am an employee who was injured on the job at the postal service Management would keep me in a room by myself for eight & half hours a day five days a week and all they gave me was a safety manual to read the same book I had read ten times before only alloweding me to go out for breaks and lunch and if I was out of the room without permission by the supervisor or manager they would write me up for failer to follow instruction and out of my assignment this went on for 4 months I greaved my unjust incarseration but the union did not help so I had to file a safety hazzard report due to limited light duity which made them mover me back to the work floor.
    So I understand how abbusive and retalatory manganment can be. And that just one incident I have more all on record and wittness by other employee.

23. me ow

September 2, 2009 at 3:26 pm

It is hard to believe her name is really Ms. Eyeball. Maybe that is why they targeted her. They used to target me just for wearing glasses!

24. BLUEBOY

September 21, 2009 at 9:15 am

I have been a postal employee for 23 years. Retired on disability ,after filing an eeo complaint.Management gave me a rough time on buying back my military time towards retirement 5 years .Evently along with the union I contacted mspb and the judge told management lawyers that my request must be granted.MY point to the veterans is if you do not. buy back your military time before retirement you lose it. IT counts towards social security and makes a big diffrence in how much you are going to get paid at social security age.On my eeo complaint it went to mediation. postal service made offers ,DO NOT DO EEO WITH OUT A LAWYER OR A REP IN YOUR FAVOR.on another note some managers handle the postal service is their personal enterprise,employing their family and even promoting them.MANAGEMENT NEEDS REORGANIZE AND POLICIES CHANGE.

25. emmajo

September 21, 2009 at 11:36 am

I too have been punished. I was injured on the job and FORCED back before my doctor cleared me. The Postal doctor however said I was fine. Now I’ve been terminated for “Improper Conduct”. I have been accused of stealing money. The OIG came in my office, did a sting on me and accused me of putting $300 in my pocket. I was questioned for 3 hours and searched. No money was on my person. However, they did take the keys to my money drawer and have access to my password so now all of a sudden there are videos of me doing the “alledged” crimes. Thing is, the videos show nothing. They are fabricating the whole thing. Do they set people up or frame them……….ABSOLUTELY!!!! Will they ever stop………….NO! I have filed a greivence to get my job back and just waiting to see if criminal charges are filed.

26. Wilbur517

November 23, 2009 at 9:26 pm

Careful 1peace, them goons got ears everywhere. Good plan but I doubt that there are enough people that would be willing to stand up. That would make for a beautiful sight after a day or two or three of no postal employees to move the mail. Do you remember the 70s wildcat strike? THAT was funny. The National Guard (God Bless them today) was trying to keep the mail going. The news showed them in hand cases trying to sort through bags of mail piled up, too bad that wasn’t the only thing they had to worry about today. Stand strong 1peace and watch your back they will stop at nothing

27. fedup

December 26, 2009 at 5:26 am

I work in CFS Denver. We have been working 12 hour days since the first part of November. The manager here is making a name for herself by volunteering us to now do Wyoming and Montana mark up mail so those sites can close. Not only do those clerks lose their CFS jobs, but we here in Denver now have no time for family life. The manager just took 2 weeks off to have a (bad) face lift, while her clerks all worked 12 hour days. The supervisors here are stupid, but not as stupid as the 204B’s. The manager likes it that way, so she can micromanage by shrieking and yelling. No wonder she got wrinkles! Sometimes we are 4 days behind. And no one gives a crap.

28. v nostdahl

January 30, 2010 at 2:37 am

Of interest to me because I see things have not changed much, but nice to know there is some justice…
    I am still dealing with death of my spouse who was former Marine and veteren postal carrier, had gone through congress after report from postal inspector stated he did not have much overtime hours, was never understaffed, and did not call his union…he had worked 17 years for postalservice and had never taken a sick day in 17 years…
    he was not allowed time off day of his dads death, was told in 2006 of march and may, that hires could not take place with 2 retirmeents in office and one permantly injured ( who was followed around in utah to make sure she was not lying) because district numbers did not prove out for hire…
    took union battlle to win hire, and no new listing, for another 4 mths,
    in office action as well, got 1.5 days off in 10 mths,
    and told after hire of 2 new ptfs, he could not have daughters wedding day off, stop taking high blood pressure pills, went in office and confronted, told pm had high blood pressuer as well..
    then was retaliated against for dental apt, off for half day by being told then casual had dental apt as well could not attend aunts funeral with elderly mom…
    finaly action was his roll as steward trying to remove injured carrier legally by memorandum of understanding in 2005 jcam, which had allowed injured carrier to bid, and was enforced for bid, but then not followed thru to remove, po had to save money , so no go with labor and union, had a casual for 2 weeks, and then illegally removed…died 3 weeks later working shorthanded, and attending first grandsons baptism…since then have done report by postal inspection, … went thru congressman to prove otherwise…
    labor denies death connected to job…
    no justice for widows..
    it is good to know some get justice..toxic enviorment killed my spouse..
    I am left to pick up pieces, do not get his retirement, he was not retired, I get to follow rules,,,
    even his boss followed rules on day of funeral, refused to lower flag, but did carry mail ,….insult to him….even in death.
    loss is beyond postal pain at this point, loss of a good man, loving husband, and father and grandfather that only held his newborn grandson for one day…
    old postal carriers do not die, they stamp away….
    I used to be proud he was a postal carrier now sometimes I wish he had never hired on. maybe he would still be alive today if he had not….

29. vnostdahl

January 31, 2010 at 3:14 am

Just to clarify, my spouse worked for small office,
    regular routes of 2 and one aux,
    he had worked 12 years as ptf, had to go thru union fight to win right to be Ftr,
    won after 3mths,
    under old PM( common sense)
    Then new PM came on after old PM retirement
    promoted to spouses loca
    first action was letting one carrier go during christmas time for a cruise in mexico, my spouse not only worked this job but another with it
    had to carry mail but at that time had fuller staff
    so okay deal with it,
    94- no crossing of crafts allowed, spouse chose Nalc, liked fighting union..

may 05
    ptf had been gone during spouses death of ww2 father,
    gone on leave time, 2 other carriers in office, PM notified 3 hrs on death date, spouse carrys mail within a half hour of death due to battle over PM carring mail… not carriers …got 2 hrs that week to help mom at church to plan funeral and actually did get a day off for funeral , 3 days later I have cancer check for 2 time, fmla , got him to sit down and take blood pressure (* had it but held in control off pills because of exercise and less stress) 340 over 210, I am not supposed to drive home, get him in to apt next day by driving and getting him off route , told him I dont care if ptf gone, your going in, and boss can live with it,
    got on pills worked within 20 minutes of apt time, came home 2 weeks later said tightness in shoulder gone…unknown to me.
    march 06
    first retirement of senior carrier (vet of 20 years)
    no invite for PM to party (* no party)
    ptf falls and injured is allowed bid on route through injured thru memorandum of understanding in jcam 2005
    other ptf retireing in may
    told no hire due to district number via pm and labor ( Pm manual says job description in charge of mail to be moved efficiently so forecasting of vacancies and filling of such is in job description of evey PM across the land-
    labor dept job is to protect health and safety of every american worker)
    our understanding is every retirment labor dept usually gets 3mth notice of date of retirement adequate time according to white paper to have vacancies filled..
    so unique situation 3 man staff and one relief worker, for days off, usually in office, but now my spouse is only carrier , goes from one route of 8 hours a day on route ( does not include sorting mail) aprox 6miles a day per walking,
    for his own route , to responsibily of small town, complete mail responsibilty of everyone including schools, university, hosptial, seniors, pharmacy, mayor, police, etc, etc…and total is 2 routes and one aux, 22 hours a day,
    and not including mail put up time of at least 10 hrs for all routes , this in one day. legally protected by manual stating can not be worked more than 12 hrs a day…
    so what happens next- PM told to improve production after stating she does not think she understands process of one carrier for whole town, so follows spouse after 4 weeks on without day off and accused him of slowing down.
    meanwhile injured ptf out of office for 6 weeks, comes back in briefly to help at least sort mail, but that is a sat, and according to PM telling spouse a slow day at the office for mail volumn so injured ptf is allowed day off to attend a bridaly shower away, and spouse is told to curtail mail, and can he handle it,
    PM does not understand later due to fact he agreed to it by stating what else have I been doing?
    May of 06, 2nd retierment coming up shortly, PM has feelings hurt about not attending retirement party, decides to have an award cermony inviting me and other wives to cake , ice cream and fun at office due to award ceremony , does not care if spouse is only carrier , more important to party…especially since no retirement party being planned…and she is not invited. Forced attendance by postal employees to celebrate award for service of ptf, probably there 5 years.
    ( former afcarreer retiree)
    fast fwd, to who is helping spouse, clerk allowed, no new hire of clerk union in about 10 years, if he continues to carry mail, pm allowed hours , will be more grandfathered in , if no hire now what happens when retirement of clerk takes place, clerk goes back to office leaving spouse only carrier of town.
    discussion of hire of casual, rejected offers by spouse, finally PM decides
    to hire duel casual from other area, first obligation to other office, no time off for spouse for regular apt days off for physically demanding job..
    new casual slower than mollasses trying for for pmr postition must carry, PM follows to improve production to no avail.
    spouse walking with tooth down to nerve , has high blood pressure that lowers to dangerous levels with tooth removal ( had fainted before) dentist looks up records, and give half day off for removal , first time off in around 9 weeks.
    sleeps immediately.
    leave time denied for summer, PM removes leave schedule from Nalc bullintin board.
    Spouse decides to attend Nalc convention , union bussiness can not be denied
    overhead outsourcing conflict is starting off.
    Tired exhusted must drive to convention over 200 miles away, and attend,
    to talk of retirements ,and vacancies not being filled.
    comes back, does not want to call union, insisted on , tries to fax from office, tied up with PM talking of soap operas to sister, comes to our business,
    has less then 10 minutes to hand write, skipping lunch and breaks to delivery of mail without help for routes, fax to union rep, they go down to labor and awarded hire for some unknown reason, and then no new listing available.
    Takes another 5mths to obtain previously trained rural route sub to come on,
    but must give 2 weeks notice , is it fair at this point about 9 mths on without day off, from routes, aksed my PM to decide, brings decision home to me for discussion, crying I say I suppose we have to be “fair”. Did not know until after death stops taking bp pills …actully gets ptf on, and then allowed prt time ptf , that must drive from 90 miles away for 2 hrs work..but is allowed one week off,
    finally for travel that had been planned year and half before and will loose payment if dont go..while there town vandalized, 6 buisiness including future son in laws worse damage , destroyed, now has wedding to attend, both daughters involved in business dealings via inlaws.
    other daughter become pregnant after 7 years of marriage to Pastor.
    new ptf hired with understanding of daughters wedding also, told he can not attend by PM, fight ensues since spouse is steward, gets wedding day off not understanding PM could legally prevented because of no automatic leave time.
    previsously spouses aunt dies, wants to attend but duel casual has a dental apt so can not attend, duel casual falls at home injured herself once two ptfs hired.
    dec holiday of one day off over, pm approaches spouse upon entry at work, told can not guarentee daughters wed in feb , because of staffing issue even though 2 ptfs hired, fight breaks out, blows top, stops taking meds, I find out at home , go into office to inform fellow clerk coworker that he has not been taking pills for 3 weeks and carrying 70 lb bag in heavy snow, Pm talks to me informing me she has high blood pressure too.
    spouse diagnosed with angina , unknown to me until after death.
    takes ekg, but normal..
    tells me just a check up.
    feb comes , gets 3 days off for wedding after PM asked where wedding was,
    plumbing stops working at daughters wedding site, works around the clock to fix it and goes back to work.
    told a casual should of been supplied all year..
    hired in april, trained for two weeks
    meanwhile training of new ptf fought for, by white letter, okay by labor union to allow veteren spouse to train, denied by PM whose training consitsted of no map of streets for ptf, knocking on doors to find correct place, I am appoached at library told them to call PM and post office, out of our hands.
    spouse allowed to train on his route only.
    casul being trained on ptf hours, confronted by spouse steward,
    next day as he comes in within 10 minutes told not doing his job and called a liar in front of new staff, blows top, called a hot head by new ptf wife to me,
    told him she is pushing his buttons, and others do not know he had been only carrier.
    meeing with ptfs and injured carrier who thanks me, for telling spouse difference between light and limited duty, PM came that very day with paper for her to sign stating injury off job not on…she did not sign.
    needs help with owcp
    spouse agrees should try to get her removed from rolls to help her and office.
    starts grievance over memorandum of understanding, labor denies even though used memorandum for bid on route, and year had gone by with no improvement in medical and she has not worked for full year.
    call to union, denied by union rep, and cause husband to say why, told to fight and not now? do not want casual want full staff.
    next day PM tell him removal of casual due to district numbers
    ( illegal, 2005 jcam states number of casual are not regional , in dc instead, and can exceed number of casual unknown to me , until after death.)
    blows up at home over removal of casual, gets on postal employee network to voice concerns, write up under code name…told to call in sick to get time off.
    never taken sick day in 17 years.
    worried about mangement even though had medical condition caused by stress and in office action.
    food drive, part time ptf has grad, granted, other ptf had grad, denied.
    due to casual removal short handed.
    husband works 24.7, to attend grandsons baptism afterwards,
    come home was to call in sick for first time, dies instead.
    poom comes down denies all knowledge of postal mangement
    about hiring or responsibility.
    no nalc rep here, ptf stops me outside his grieving moms house,
    and says PM refused to lower flag, report at funeral of PM carrying mail,
    told ptf illegal. PM was denied funeral by me.
    report on in office investigation asked for by rr steward told to do timeline of events for their information, agree, put all greivances and orders to lawyer cousin for safekeeping.
    union contacted over report, report written in june of 07, did not receive until new contract signed in oct of 08, due my action with ptf.
    report states no excessive overtime, never understaffed, and no union contact.
    pm half responsible for death and apparently I am by nalc regional rep assistant conversation …written in officail report by postal inspection.
    pm called his friend
    rr said rable rouser and anoymous clerk named.

try to get spouse ira roll over amount, told after supplying death certificate, marriage certificate, ss number, request form must have a valid reason to get amount in account not money…I want a valid reason for him as only carrier.

address matter to congress after election .
    told labor stands by report, had held back phone records, supplied to senate office..
    labor comes down to award ptf hero statist for helping injured person on route.

PM addresses me while walking by, says she has never filled out a death benifit before, offers to help, I havent either, rather be filling out retirement form..
    have own benifit person supplied by opm.

told by fnancial counselor he usualy helps fill out retirment forms, I am the first
    for death.

since he wasnt retired when died, I do not get retirement taken out of checks for 17 years or sick days.
    told the post office prefunded retriements..
    but have spouses money.,

30. vnostdahl

January 31, 2010 at 3:15 am

no regular count in 17 years takes place until after death,
    then routes split into 2 now. instead of 2 routes and one aux,
    saving money and do not need assistant ptf.

31. Mike

February 8, 2010 at 7:19 pm

This is just a tip of the iceberg.

32. postal widow

February 13, 2010 at 2:32 pm

uppermangement moved by volunteering to do so, could not sell his house , given a buy out by postal progam of 1.2 million for house to happily relocate
    somehow making sure upper management is happy is important rather than helping fill vacancies, via retirement in the po , and making sure mail is efficiently run, plus a union member is treated like he is not a human being, instead died due to stress of job, which is in job description, must be able to deal with psychological torture of being a letter carrier, apparently that is the meaning , but this is letters not bullets from battlezone, so apparently it was better to fight in vietnam war and be held prisonor of war, than to be a postal worker, somehow the valu system of priorities and human life has become non essential, versers property owned by upper management, that is deemed of more value than a hard working letter carrier who was left without help due to fiscal policy and district numbers of over employement of workers , and no overflow from the other post offices in the area, then also casuals were overhired making it not stress related at all, I need a valid reason.

33. sharon

March 12, 2010 at 6:46 pm

I just came across this site and haven’t read all the comments but I’d like to state one based on what I’ve read. The AJ who saw right through the Post Office should be given a medal. Her words used to describe the postal service tactics are exact. Why isn’t that other AJ’s never find any wrongdoing despite the “false information they are provided.” Personally, if AJ’s took a similar stand and read bertween the lines, they would probably fine the Postal Service for abuse of their authority. This made my day.

34. Martricia Chapman

April 4, 2010 at 11:30 pm

I have been abused I was told by a co worker im fired I have been abused over a year and reported it to every one OSHA went in and did a investigation and and found employees are being abused and harassed but no one still is doing anything management has falsified my attendance and clock ring please help me
    what do i do

35. jo

April 27, 2010 at 3:05 am

There is nothing that can be done. I have been told by 4 different members of management YOU FIRED IF YOU CANT DO BETTER!!! This is after they have attempted to make me skip my lunch over and over. They do what they want and have full immunity. The cycle continues. Its time congress goes out and talks to these postal workers like you and I and not that damn banana republic dictator Potter. The harassment is now DAILY almost hourly. Write a Senator is the only thing I can think of if they’ll listen.

36. Zack Attack

May 6, 2010 at 2:04 am

QUESTION for SCOTT THE SUPERVISOR; and/or any other SUPERVISOR out there with super powers:

“How do you distinguish if a person is faking an injury or illness?”

Our management in Sacramento seems to be able to idenify “FAKE’S” as well. I’m not a doctor, nor is anyone in management in Sacramento, thus I wish to learn how one arrives at such a conclusion; expecially with no medical background.
    I think I could make alot of money reporting these FAKE’s to the DOL, OIG and PI’s, if I could learn this trick. I’m being a smart-ass moron!!!!!!!

37. Babysister

June 4, 2010 at 5:21 pm

I am glad that I have read some of this….it has made me decide that forget working as a casual clerk and being made a fool of….that is what I feel like and I am not going to go in there and hurt myself doing what I know is a health hazard only for them to fight it….I don’t even get offered any benefits so they can take the job and stick it where the sun don’t shine.

Once again thanks for all the honest input.

38. Rob

August 27, 2010 at 9:22 pm

I was a supervisor with a very nasty PM. He fired me for such BS reasons it would make your head spin. The reason, because I wouldn’t hide timecards, leave mail at the carriers case after they left, go after the black guy to aggatate him to make him violent, hide leave slips to AWOL people. Take information out of the stewards office to make her appear unorganzied. I suffered a nervous breakdown because of this daily harrassment to try not to screw good people just looking to make a living. But once I get my day in court it is all public. One things that gets attention is fiiling a complience complaint with OSHA for mental health and safety. They don’t kid around. If anyone is very familiar withthe EEO preocess let me know or have been through it till the end, just making sure I have my ducks lined up.

39. Sharon

September 16, 2010 at 2:04 pm

I was on limited duty and was awarded a bid at a station. The first day, I was screamed at, intimidated, talked down to, aggravated, just generally treated very nasty by management at this station. I was not 100% disabled, nor lazy. There were a few things I couldn’t do, but since I was on limited duty I was treated very badly. Even though I was productive, and certainly earned my money, I was treated like crap. Finally I started filing grievances and Management got better. Of course when the NRP showed their faces, I decided to go back to full duty….due to the fact that I was doing so much of the work anyway. After that it was a bit better. For about 9 months though, it was hell in that place. The clerks all had an attitude towards me, even when I returned back to full duty. I would say that due to the fact that I had been injured, they all felt the need to harrass me, practically spit on me. Its a wonder more people dont go postal because of the management there. I for one cant wait till the day I am out of there.

40. happy to be gone

October 13, 2010 at 4:33 pm

How sad that so many good people have to be treated this way by the usps I worked my a.. off for them and finally got a chance to become a carrier and I knew the minute I was in that office that it would never happen I was sabotaged,talked down to like I couldn’t understand anything, I felt it was because I was a woman.I had a vehicle that didn’t work and a scanner that by coincidence didn’t work or random things that I couldn’t explain that was messing up my time,a vehicle that didn’t have gas put in it ext,ext.I had a few supporters that told me I’am to nice and tried so hard to help telling me they were so used to management and some workers that are no good,I was even led to believe that one day before my 90 days were up that I was going to make it and was told what a fighter I was,strong and improving only to be let go.I can relate to everyones story because right before I left another man that had been there for 25yrs had gotten hurt and they were making things so difficult for him as well and he had been there for so long .I can only say that now it was emotionally the worst time for me I was in it for the money and career and wanted something stable but really it was not worth the torture and the constant harrasment. I never cried before so much at home and when they let me go but I believe in Karma and everything that these supervisors and long time employees do to others will come back to them somehow.I did file an eeo I was to be given a chance to work there again I turned it down I could tell by the supervisors look that it would not be fair for me ,how could I feel protected when the two people that were watching out for me were not even being scheduled with me when they found out that they were helping me?I would have been thrown out to the wolves so I filled out a reinstatement packet and I’am sure I’ll never hear from them again and in a way I feel a little blessed and hope others fight back to let them know that they can’t do this to everyone.I last heard two supervisors there were gone and that gives me some relief but what about others like me? there are countless others being harrassed for whatever reasons and if more said something then something could be done anyhow God bless.

41. Also happy to be gone

October 25, 2010 at 9:28 am

I know how you feel happy to be gone. I work my butt off for the PO myself to be criticized because I was trying to further my education (taking class for postal worker at a community college and taking graduate level classes to get my masters degree at the same time). I was talked down to like I was an idiot by people some of whom time after time I helped out. I worked seven days a week for a year and a half and got no appreciation and then my husband left for Iraq and my son got sick what did thye do but drop my hours majorly because a had to take a couple days off to take care of him.

Then about a month and a half ago my son was sick and was told when I called to say I was not going to be able to come in because my son was sick and I had had no sleep I was told by the supervisor that he did not give a D*** and that I was to be there no matter what. I had already found someone to work for me but he still said he didnt give a D***. Oh and he told me to leave my sick four year old son at home by himself to come to work. I am sorry the PO has completely gone down hill they show good employees no respect but yet expect them to put their job before all else. My family comes before a job because you can replace a job but you cannt replace you family.

The PO has no respect for militray families or any other employees family it is the worst place I have ever worked.

42. pplschmp

December 7, 2010 at 3:04 pm

WOW, I thought perhaps my husband was exaggerating, but sadly it seems he is not alone in his targeted hostile environment. He is with a post office in PA, working as a TE, the supervisor is OUT OF CONTROL! He is demeaning, disrespectful, arrogant, and has told people out right that he is “untouchable!” The union is utterly useless. What avenue of recourse do these guys have, I mean really! My husband is an upstanding guy, works hard, is an eagle scout and a black belt, not much more virtuous than that out there, he thought the post office would be a perfect fit. He recently got chastised at work early on a Saturday morning, for not being fast enough (mind you he is well within the time guidelines posted by the post office) however, the manager wanted him to be 1 hour faster–PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE! Did I mention he has only worked there for four months. Everyone is petrified to stand up to him for fear of losing their job, this makes me sick to my stomach. If anyone has any SOUND advice for my husband I would appreciate it, as it stands now he is thinking of quitting a job that he worked very hard to get and felt would be a respected and possible lifetime passion… sad.

43. David Snyder

May 14, 2011 at 6:10 am

Think it’s bad IN the post office? I was driven out of the office in Lockport New York after 22 years of hard working service for showing contempt for a corrupt group of carriers that were in collusion with an equally corrupt management….. [edited by PEN - please, no personal names] Within 48 hours I was in Lockport city jail, charged with harassment and criminal trespass. These animals think they own you even after you no longer work for them. I also want to call out, by name, the rest of the despicable: [edited by PEN - please, no personal names] ….are still employed by the USPS. I have saved documentation from my last 5 years in the USPS and hope someday it will be useful in shaming these and other individuals I used to work for and with.

44. David Snyder

May 14, 2011 at 3:50 pm

What a shame. I was hoping to see their names to make them come after me again. Libel suits, anyone? You know who you are.

45. beverly chesser

September 23, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I have been with rual carrier craft for 10 yrs 4 of them as regular. I Nov2008 I had to have bi lateral carpal tunnell surgery. I retunred to work in feb2010. I was of work for physcial therpy and Drs app 2 days a week for awhile. InApr 0f2011 I had to have a tendon removed from my elbow. when I returned under modified duty my oci put on the route delivering mail which was not in my duty static. I again hurt the elbow. After that on july 11 of 2011 3 and a half months arterm id left for the surgery . I received a personal coduct job removal. they charged me with bogus charges that I hope my union steward can discredit . I have been haressed by my supervisor numerous times and have peole that will testify to this . the rca that is next in line for my job was involved with this charge. they have made blatant lies about how I handled my mail tthey have sent false documention which is fraud . what can I do about this to help my union steward prove my case . Anyone that can help me out there?

46. JoAnne Teal

October 29, 2012 at 10:57 am

I am in Illinois and was fired (had 20 years of service) after reporting an injury on my job for the first time in my life. My situation is very similar to Ms. Eyeball’s except I lost my job and everything I have worked for for over 50 years. I was a clerk but I have been told to ask the NALC Union #214 the name of the attorney who help Ms. Eyeball.

I cannot believe that a federal agency can ruin a person’s life for reporting an injury.

Does anyone know the name of this attorney?

Thank you.

47. alvinder

October 29, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Since the topic here is about ‘management abuse’, I wanted to say a few things here … I’ve been a carrier for 25+ years and I have observed so many similar such incidents in my office. The root of the problem is how the USPS has gradually increased it’s ‘standards’ on productivity. Productivity, meaning time allowed for office and street. I will admit that I work a hell of a lot harder now than I did when I first started my career. I no longer take an am or pm break or a lunch, and most, if not all of the time, I medicate myself on vicodin and adderall to give me the boost necessary to case mail and deliver at the ridiculous rate that is expected of me. I believe that for the most part, I’m performing at my absolute limit. Yet I continually get abusive comments from my supervisor such as, “your office times are way off the mark and you really need a lot of improvement”. And then to top that off, I always get such a comment followed up with this one: “You are the only carrier that is not making your times.” Even I know such comments are complete BS, I can’t deny that hearing these comments day after day, month after month, year after year, has severely damaged my mental state. Over the past several years, I’ve gradually lost interest in all the activities that used to bring me pleasure. For now, my only source of pleasure is staying medicated on vicodin or oxycodone. Without them, I could never cope with the abuse. Yes these meds are for pain. But I will say that the mental pain we carriers have to endure is far more painful than any type of physical pain I’ve ever felt. At least physical pain, from my own perspective, has always been temporary, where as this mental pain is chronic!

I’m not saying all of this for self pity. I’m saying this to let others know they are not alone. I suspect that I am not the only one with this type of a story!

Lastly, lucky for me, I have not had any major injuries and had to go on light or limited duty. Those from my office who’ve had such injuries or health issues have paid the price. I few of them are dead!

48. JoAnne Teal

November 1, 2012 at 10:49 am

I was told to contact NALC Branch 214 for the attorney’s name and contact information who helped Billie Eyeball. No one will answer.

JoAnne – try their website http://www.nalcbayarea.com/

49. JoAnne

November 12, 2012 at 3:46 pm

why doesn’t anyone answer these posts?

50. willis todd jr

September 13, 2013 at 7:50 am

Mr. A. CARLTON the two inspectors were fired, nothing happened to anyone else. Please just type in “CLEVELAND POSTAL DRUG STING” Complete story about what the bastards of Cleveland got away with. Just remember, people in management and Postal Inspectors take Prick pills every day! that is how they stay nasty!