APWU PUBLICIZES LIST OF POSTAL EMPLOYEES THAT REFUSE TO JOIN THE UNION

APWU

APWU

APWU’s President Burrus states that in March he sent letters to non-APWU members requesting that they join the union. The mailing included a postage-paid return envelope along with an APWU membership application.

Burrus noted that about 1000 postal employees chose to join the union, but many others chose to use the postage-paid envelope to express their negative views regarding the union and union membership – because of this, Burrus decided to publicize the names of those who identified themselves.

You may read Burrus’ statements and see his publicized list of employees choosing not to join APWU here.

89 Responses to APWU PUBLICIZES LIST OF POSTAL EMPLOYEES THAT REFUSE TO JOIN THE UNION

1. Totally disgusted union worker

January 6, 2010 at 11:28 pm

I am a current union employee. I am growing more and more anti-union everyday.
    I am tired of hearing that crap that non union workers are scabs and are riding the coattails of others. I am been a postal worker for 22 years. When I came to the postal service for employment, I was not aware they had unions. I was just looking for a job. People should not feel as though they need to join unions to have a job. So what if the union negotiates for our raises. All that was negotiated before I became a postal employee. I can’t think of anything outstanding the union has done for me in the past 22 years. The only thing that was major was the ending of part time flex in larger offices. That was not good news to me. I transferred from another area to be close to my family. At the time I transferred there was no one available to swap with me. So I get to lose everything I worked hard for for 22 years and become a part time flex again, due to something the union negotiated a long time ago. I think that’s a gross injustice. To treat somebody like a new hire even though they have not changed employers is just totally wrong. Nobody should have to choose between their job and their family. Family comes first. Before people start complaining about being bumped, if the post office was paid by state government, I could see your side and I would not complain. However we receive a government check and I my check continues to come from the exact same place. I just feel once you gain your seniority you should be able to keep it no matter where you go. You never know if you may find yourself in the same situation, I know most people would give up their seniority to be near their family because their family is important to them. I moved before they negotiated the ending of part-time flex in larger offices. To add insult to injury they get rid of part time flex and I get to sit at the bottom of the list with one person below me. I don’t know why the union did not see this coming that when they negotiated this the post office would no longer hire regular employees they would start hiring more casuals. I think any dummy could have seen that. I have been paying dues to APWU every since 1988 when I transferred from the mail handler craft. I just feel totally ill. I was recently excessed and at my new office I am again low man on the totem pole. Everybody including the part-time flex there have more seniority than me. They have excessed from that office in the past so its possible I could get excessed again. How do you think I feel being employed 22 years and being tossed around like this? I should just give my money to people who negotiate things I don’t agree with. I also don’t like their constant support of the democratic party. That’s all I am going to say about that. I wasn’t trying to start a debate about Democrats versus Republicans. Why should I remain a union member? With the big boss doing something like this, this gives me more ammo to drop this union. I don’t like bullies. Also the union does not pay my salary I earn my pay everyday. When the union starts paying me a salary then union workers can complain about me not pulling my weight. Tell me why I should feel guilty when most of everything in that contract was negotiated before I became a postal employee.

2. Salty

February 4, 2010 at 12:02 am

This blog deals with the manner in which Mr. William Burrus, APWU President, responded to recalcitrant non-union member employees who declined his invitation to join the APWU in a manner he disliked. As the exclusive representative, the APWU, and Mr. Burrus as its agent, have a duty to fairly represent all collective bargaining unit employees regardless of their union affiliation or lack thereof. But did Mr. Burrus violate his duty by publishing those names? The following excerpts from Vica v Sipes, 386 U.S. 171 (1967), written for the majority by Mr. Justice White, establishes the standard to which unions and their agents, including Mr. Burrus, are held.

“Although the NLRB has recently held that a union’s breach of its statutory duty of fair representation is an unfair labor practice under § 8(b) of the National Labor Relations Act, …”

“The doctrine of fair representation, which protects individuals against arbitrary union conduct, …”

“A union breaches its duty of fair representation when its conduct toward a member of the designated unit is arbitrary, discriminatory or in bad faith, … ”

“Under this doctrine, the exclusive agent’s statutory authority to represent all members of a designated unit includes a statutory obligation to serve the interests of all members without hostility or discrimination toward any, to exercise its discretion with complete good faith and honesty, and to avoid arbitrary conduct.”

“Although N.L.R.A. § 8(b) was enacted in 1947, the NLRB did not, until Miranda Fuel, interpret a breach of a union’s duty of fair representation as an unfair labor practice. In Miranda Fuel, the Board’s majority held that N.L.R.A. § 7 gives employees “the right to be free from unfair or irrelevant or invidious treatment by their exclusive bargaining agent in matters affecting their employment,” . . . .”

“. . . “that Section 8(b)(1)(A) of the Act accordingly prohibits labor organizations, when acting in a statutory representative capacity, from taking action against any employee upon considerations or classifications which are irrelevant, invidious, or unfair.”

“The collective bargaining system, as encouraged by Congress and administered by the NLRB, of necessity subordinates the interests of an individual employee to the collective interests of all employees in a bargaining unit. See, e.g., J. I. Case Co. v. Labor Board, 321 U. S. 332. This Court recognized in Steele that the congressional grant of power to a union to act as exclusive collective bargaining representative, with its corresponding reduction in the individual rights of the employees so represented, would raise grave constitutional problems if unions were free to exercise this power to further racial discrimination. 323 U.S. at 323 U. S. 198-199. Since that landmark decision, the duty of fair representation has stood as a bulwark to prevent arbitrary union conduct against individuals stripped of traditional forms of redress by the provisions of federal labor law.”

“A breach of the statutory duty of fair representation occurs only when a union’s conduct toward a member of the collective bargaining unit is arbitrary, discriminatory, or in bad faith.

Since Mr. Burrus’ response was directed at collective bargaining unit employees, specifically non-union member employees, and appears to be arbitrary, discriminatory, and/or hostile in character, is it reasonable to conclude his response constitutes an unfair labor practice by a labor union?

Salty

Disclosure: I am a non-union member employee represented by a union. While I have in the past been compelled to pay an agency fee to a union in order to retain my right to work, I do not pay union imposed fees at this time. Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, am not licensed to practice law, nor can I give legal advice. My words do not constitute legal advice; they are not given in that context or for that purpose and should not be applied to that end. If you need legal advice, contact the appropriate attorney.

3. Disgusted

February 10, 2010 at 5:40 am

I’m not anti union.. but, i am anti present day union mentality. While the Prez is seeking relief for businesses… the unions will seek to use it as a reason to demand higher wages. What’s the point??? Why even boither to give tax incentives to businesses. The unions and thier “Hoffa” style tactics of bulling and intimidation are driving businesses right out of business. I can see if the employer can be more free to fire or discipline poor workers but, the unions prevent this. They even go so far as to protect these poor workers and has earned a reputation of being the dud’s hero. It is well known that unions drive up cost and overhead by blocking employer’s ability to manage thier own overhead cost. Think of how much money can be saved just by eliminating poor workers. I’m talking poor workers ie; duds that either refuse to work, won’t work, or not able to do the job, ( the latter can be placed in different positions that use thier talents more effectively). It takes two employees to do the job of one poor worker. That’s double the overhead cost to an employer. Why should a custodian make so much an hour. They make almost as much as a mechanic. The highest paid custodians in the nation exist in the USPS. It’s crazy. Chrysler and GM failed, in part, because of the union and thier refusal to make meaningful concessions. They did not give a dam about thier”brothers” who would be affected by thier refusals. The ones who would be laid off. What happened to solidarity and brotherhood! It’s all BS! The union heads are all in it for themselves. The CTA (Chicago Transportation Authority) jus laid off hundreds of workers and reduced services that not only affect union worker but the public as a whole… all because the UNION and thier sorry memebers all decided to not compromise and throw thier fellow members “under the bus”. This is solidarity? Brotherhood? What a joke. I’m willing to wager that many of the members who voted to screw there fellow members were poor workers who would be protected either way… due to thier “seniority”. Nothing to do with knowledge or proficiency. Thos eare 4 letter words to unions. As a now former dues paying member, I am just totally fed up with these protections given to these poor workers then forcing me to work “with” them. In actuality… I get to do there jobs too as they won’t or can’t and the task need to get done. I get NO extra pay for this. All i get is more bitter and DISGUSTED!

4. obet

February 17, 2010 at 8:41 pm

You are all cry baby!!
    The union is the one reason why they paying you what you’re earning now!
    If its not enough for you, look for another high paying job.
    The union is the one reason why, when you wake-up tommorrow, you’ll have still have your job without being to worry about to lost it.
    The union is the one reason why, your getting all your benefits.
    The union is the one reason why…………………….

read this…. http://courierexpressandpostal.blogspot.com/2010/02/irs-cracks-down-on-workers-status-abuse.html
    and compare yourself to UPS and FEDEX!!

5. Disgusted

March 1, 2010 at 5:32 am

I bet Obet is one of those “poor workers” that i’ve spoke of. The unions think that they play a bigger role than they do. This notion of “JOB SECURITY” is all BS. That’s right… smoke and mirrors. Cause if an employer really needs to trim the fat, you can bet your arse job security would be tossed. It is known by those at the table that a “no layoff” clause is just something that the unions can use as a talking point for recruitment. Any fool who really believes that this would save his or her job needs a psyc exam. Tell me why should anyone get $20 an hour to paint one sign. This is what unions have done to america. They drove up cost to the point where you’d have to make that much to buy anything. It’s a redundant thing. They demand higher pay, companies have to charge more for goods and services, then they ask for more, then companies raise prices more. On and on. In the meantime… ordinary people find it difficult to afford basics. More join the ranks of the poor. Foreign consumers can’t afford our goods. Trade slows. Think supply and demand. You don’t demand what you can’t afford. Now if we adopt a new mentality and decrease the power of unions to interfere with overhead… such as allowing employers to rid thier rank of “dead weight”… then maybe we can have the nice saleries and keep overhead down as well. Now more on this job security. What would the incentive be for a new hire to come into a shop, join a union and, when it comes time to lay someone off, guess what!! See ya! Mr. new employee. Thanks for all of the dues you’ve wasted supporting those who’ve been here longer. Now what is the incentive for those with seniority to join the union. They will benefit either way so, why join. The facts are what they are. There is very little incentive for either side to join. Esp the new hire. Just wasted money. Work 20 years and be the first fired. That would suck right? Now if the unions were blocked from the process, then only the “dead weight” would get ejected. They’re not contributing anyway. In fact, they actually increase overhead disproportionately. So, i really don’t need to hear or read your “talking point” reference. Have a nice day.

6. APWU DUE PAYING MEMBER

March 3, 2010 at 2:17 pm

I am a dues paying member but don’t get adequate representation. I can’t get my grievances filed by the local union and the local union representatives often side with Postal Management in their action. The contractual violation are known to the union representatives and tolerated by them. The union visit our office maybe once every 4-6 weeks and don’t usually have time to talk to the employees. Several Letter Carriers have given the union representative statements about management performing craft work but no action is taken.

Why pay for something (union representation) that isn’t provided. Burris seem to be attempting to embarrass the individuals into joining the union against their will. If the union provided adequate representation to all its due paying members then more will remain members. They just chose not to pay for something they weren’t getting anyway. Burris need to stop crying and start fighting for what he and those under him have lost by getting in bed with Postal management. Burris if you lay with dogs and you always get fleas.

7. me being me

March 19, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Every local is different all I know is there are good unions and bad unions. The apwu local that work at are very non union. There is favortism among certain shopstewards. Favortism causes division not unity. There is also something at our local call superseniority where basically the same two shopstewards benefit by over riding people that have more senority than they. There is superseniority only is allowed when excessing, shopstewards get to stay in that office that has excessing. The problem is there isnt any excessing in the office Im in. Go figure. Ive also was misrpresented by the local where I work to the point I lost 2 years back pay without being heard. I was yelled at by the advocate to just GO Back to work. I now struggle to fight for my home. The list goes on. I want out of the union this is not what I joined the union for. I wish they would call me scab, because write along side of my name I would write all of the non union things that the local has done to me. I will be writing a book.

8. James Wood

April 12, 2011 at 12:24 pm

can someone e-mail me with instructions how to cancel membership in apwu? I’ve heard it is very complicated. if joining was as complicated I would never have joined. I’m sick of supporting any part of the democrats.

9. Gerald Gallagher

April 13, 2011 at 8:29 pm

There is good and bad in every organization. The people who do not strongly believe in unions are only fooling themselves as people forget over time why unions were formed in the first place. I personally thank them for my livable wage and health benefits. Look at walmart the richest family in the world worth hundreds of billions of dollars and the pay structure is what?

10. dco

April 14, 2011 at 3:51 pm

you can submit the paperwork (there’s a form to get from your supervisor) around your hire date.

remember, the only union is only as good or bad as those who participate or don’t participate in it.

11. dco

April 14, 2011 at 3:59 pm

with tentative apwu cba, assuming it’s ratified, there will be changes ahead for everyone, union, non union, management.

one thing for sure, the new teaching will be a complaint is not necessarily a grievance. that should free up a lot of wasted time and get those who waste the time of stewards who are working on real grievances out of everyone’s hair.

you know just because the union has to represent non-union members, that doesn’t necessarily mean the non-union member is getting the best of the best and they certainly aren’t getting educated. anyone can file a step 1 grievance. doesn’t mean it will go anywhere or resolve anything to the satisfaction of the grievant, but at least you will be getting what you’re paying for.

12. fat dog

April 20, 2011 at 9:26 am

the union isn’t the best but getting out isn’t the answer.staying in and changing it is.get involved.someone above said work 20 years and be the first fired well we have seen that many times.I’m a Rep. in the union I believe in working for what you get.Not given what you get.Yes sir the union defends scum bags who don’t work or don’t show up,thats the law.Sucks doesn’t it,their hands are tied behind their back but you r voice isn’t.Don’t be a puss say something to the person are to other employees,embarres the hell out of the scum bag.Report them to the OIG or Postal Inspector,screw the BS saying snitch,thats a word created by the criminal to cover his/her ass for their crime.Cover your job for your family.Take back your union for what it was started for to protect your rights.OR cower to the Post office and the union and bitch about here and at work and home.AS for calling non union members scabs do you blame them for not joining,look at what they hear about our union,negativity and bitching and name calling,call me a name and I’ll tell you to go somewhere and I’ll keep my money.Talk to me show me the benifits show me to ignore the negative and to be a driving force to improve the union and fight for us I”m there.DUH!!!Cut the politics in house out,managment loves that part,throat cutting at election time just like D.C.disagree but do it professional.Who said custodian get paid to much,really,why don’t you stick your hands in the toilets of urine or turds,hours outside in the sun cutting grass and trimming and raking.oops there is a spill what chemical is it,go to the classes for that stuff.Nah just stay indoors shuffling mail or putting it on a machine and letting it sort it for you,everyone elses job is more important than the other and deserves more until the others not there to do his job.Believe it or not the union is there for us,we or there for each other,except those who don’t work or show up,management has a job to do,they are not all out to get us,just a few AH,work together ,work with the union,talk with non-union members don’t call them scabs.Change YOUR UNION,CHANGE YOUR COUNTRY,ask your union to have a meeting for non union members to show them benifits,tell your union to quit calling them scabs.Show the m the stupitidy of the word.Educate yourself and others and change the post office who knows!!!

13. anti union

April 28, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I am and have been a union member for more than 25 years. In May of 2010 I was discharged for taking FMLA approved leave. Between 2008, and 2010 I have been unfairly disciplined with APWU refusing to represent and my cases being lost because of untimely filings. Right now I have had my greivence for terminatation cancelled three times. The third time it was cancelled was because management hadn’t decided my fourteen day suspension and they can’t decide my termination until they do my fourteen which has been refused to grieve and arbitration by management since June of 2009. Union President states management sets up the dates for arbitration and they have the right to cancel. I feel if that is the case than what do I have them there to fight for me for, if management will not agree to arbitration. I was not given an F8 and is still considered employed so I can’t get my Thrift, and disability claims I still work for the post office. I am being made to financially distruct while they decide whether to arbitrate and union is sitting on their butts

14. Anonymous

May 12, 2011 at 2:57 pm

All offices are not the same as far as union representation. It’s not an easy job being union stewards because it takes a lot of time to research and come up with a great solid case for the employee no matter what they do. Many many times it’s the screw up of mgmt not researching how to give the discipline correctly exact as the jcam stipulates or varied other things mgmt does wrong. If your steward doesn’t catch the smallest of details or if your union steward doesn’t know jcam in and out and how to catch mgmt’s screw ups then I hate to say that office might not have the best representation, but I thought you could go outside of the specific office worked at and get better representation? It’s so true also that the lazy idiots get a free pass and then do it again but the representation has to be for them also so that the good employees don’t get fired etc for messing up once or twice etc. My husband has been steward for many years and has saved many jobs and helped good people and that is because he is very passionate about them and their families.

15. Trident

August 20, 2011 at 3:50 am

Hi. When the Union starts caring more for injured workers, besides pretending to care for them, then I would have better respect for them. I like how USPS kicks the injured worker to the curb and when they get hurt, all the union cares about is getting them back to work only a few hours of less than 20 hours a week so the person who is screwed can keep paying their dues @ $23 bi-weekly. Then if the screwed injured workers tries to get a hardship, they are told no by the union that they cannot get out the union because they have to wait like everyone else to cancel their memberships, 10 day window time which is very specific and they will not except cancelation a day before, day after and w/o being certified. You should see how union reps have such hatred towards those non-paying hardship injured workers who are screwed by the union and because they are not paying them more $$$ to pay them to screw them ever more, even if they mess/screw them over time and time again. My experience is that they are two faced, have one face and then another. Union reps care more about what they want, and do what they can to get what they want, so they can continue taking their fun trips, get their extra bonus money, be on ego trips, and so on.

16. slota

August 24, 2011 at 2:24 am

The union is a dinosaur. Fast becoming a memory forced into the grave by the fatted calves suckling at it. The USPS is fated to follow only due to bad mgnt. Both taking all they can get out of us and the USPS till the end. Yes your job is in jeopardy with or without the union. Get out of the union, SAVE the money.

17. Deb

August 24, 2011 at 6:21 pm

The union needs to step into the 21st century. No longer can the PO afford to support lazy do-nothings. We have 3 in our office alone that should’ve been gone a long time ago. Two don’t want to accept the fact that we no longer carry 2-3 times the number of staff we need, the ridiculous over-staffing of PTF’s is history and, as a result, these two’s job descriptions have been expanded to cover closer to 6 hrs work a day instead of 4. They refuse to do more than they’ve done in the past and spend at least 4hrs ambling around doing nothing. The third is just a problem child… we are not allowed cell phones on the floor or at the window but he has his and is texting continually. He is a window clerk and he refuses to do anything but help customers – when he’s not ignoring them to text. He won’t do second notices, help out in the back…nothing. If management says anything to him about anything, he files an EEO saying they are picking on him because he is black. He was AWOL for a month and still has his job…that’s the union for you. The man has been fired at least TWICE, the union got him his job back with the only concession being he had to transfer to another office, he should be unemployed right now, not disrupting another office.
    I used to belong to the union but quit after changing offices… why? NO representation for double the dues of the rest of the state. And the fact that they keep protecting those who should be gone was getting really old. I’m a PTF, I don’t mind working but I don’t appreciate being forced to work overtime to do what regulars were told to do and didn’t – and not because they were busy, they were ambling around doing nothing, they just didn’t want to do it.

Trim the fat, cut the slackers, cut management/administrative by at least 50% and reduce their wages to something more in line with their responsibilities… a $100K a year for a postmaster is ridiculous in an office of less than 50-100 people.

18. kelly

September 6, 2011 at 2:18 am

Unions are full of thugs and pigs.

19. rich

September 8, 2011 at 3:27 pm

what are current unions doing for career employees absolutely nothing
    my friend who was a clerk for 16 years was excessed to the mailhandler craft and lost all his seniority he went from a senority date of 1993 to a seniority date of 2008 and what did the union do they said management can do that and now at the facilitie i work in they are excessing over 150 clerks to who knows where because they have not decided to grace us with that knowledgea and in the meantime they are still hiring postal support employees (pse) and also hiring casuals and about those pse emplyoees management is paying for thier healthcare but the new employees must join the apwu union to get the free health care because you can only get the insurance if you are a union member
    hows that for looking out for career emplyees only thing apwu worried about is getting their union dues

20. rich

September 8, 2011 at 3:33 pm

and another thing bargaining unit employees are down 20% in the last 5 years
    while management positions are up 28% so less emplyoees but more managers what a croc/ big wigs get fat / while the working stiffs get the shaft

21. Gerard

September 12, 2011 at 11:40 am

I was a supervisor for 20 years and I always supported the rights of the unions and I was a member while in the craft. They do protect workers rights and bargain for better wage and working conditions. Without them conditions would be intolerable. I also feel in some cases they abuse their authority as much as management can. Frivolous grievances cost money and I found most grievances were filed by the same individuals.

22. JOKER

December 31, 2011 at 12:27 am

The union sold us all down the pike by allowing management to change PTF’s to NFT’s. And also allow the hiring of PSE’s they are doing more work. The high level union officicials are saving themselves until they retire, look at all thier ages.

They do not care about the dues paying members, we are nothing to them. They want us to take it and shut up. I am getting out of the union as soon as my anninversary date is here. That is the only way they will give us what we need.

23. J K Beck

February 10, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Look at Letter Carriers union –standing up — while APWU merely says contact your congress reps. These critical times of Capitol Hill actions against the working class, APWU is silent in Washington DC. Pitiful union! Congress is striking at our postal wages and benefits, and where is APWU’s report of any action it is taking on members’ behalf? Why isn’t APWU in every congress rep’s face??? APWU wants dues money for what? APWU officers are paid to tell you — contact your congress rep? Too pitiful. In these times, 2012, a union should be able to function on Capitol Hill.

24. Rick Graham

June 27, 2012 at 1:08 am

I was an APWU Shop Steward for 8 years and the VP of the Albany NY Local for 4 years. I won numerous major grievances, 2 breaks, admin for a snowstorm etc. I got out of the Union due to faith held beliefs when I became a Bible believing Christian. There is nothing in the USPS that says you have to be in the Union and the APWU “Non-member” lists actually violate the “O” tolerance/harassment policy of the USPS. The deal the Union had the Dept of Labor said you must represent everyone. Now the Union has a problem with that. So they should not be allowed to create a hostle work place enviornment. The USPS is hostile enough with out that. If you want to throw away your money on them clowns so they can go drinking in Vegas that’s your business. But don’t harass me because I decline to give.

25. Becky

September 27, 2012 at 9:57 am

I was wondering why we are FORBIDDEN to support any political figure publicly, yet the last APWU magazine had a huge article, about “Why We Support Obama & the Democrats”!?? How hypocritical is that?!! I joined the union to make a positive change in it. I don’t see that happening with these staunch liberals at the wheel. I’d really like to cancel my membership, but don’t have a clue how. The govt gets enough money from me without getting my membership dues as well! btw, I’ll also be putting my Tea Party sticker on my truck this week also!

26. Alan

November 22, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I quit being a APWU member this year after serving and an officer of this Local for more than 16 years. The current admin began their term in Jan 2011 and since then I have personally been verbally attacked and blackballed by this admin from the beginning of their term. Current officers and stewards were forbidden to speak to me by the Local President. One steward was decertified for speaking to me. This Local refused to meet with me about grievances and certainly refused to file any grievances for me. They lied, belittled, and generally accused me of poorly performing my job within the Union. I was elected to represent the membership at the State Convention in 2011 and the current admin refused to allow any delegates the opportunity to serve just to keep me from attending.

Why would I want to be apart of this Local/Union after being treated in such a manner. Never again…….

27. TNgirl

November 27, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I will never join the Union at our post office and I’ve only been there 4 months. It is such a joke and the Union prez thinks I’m going to be pressured in by his lies and harassment.

I do believe the union keeps the deadbeats alive at the workplace. I work hard everyday only to look up and see these “union deadbeats” standing there looking stupid.

I believe people need to become anti-union and take a stand against something that’s taking your money and doing nothing for you.

28. Mary Ann in Ohio

September 25, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Thank your Union for your RAISES, HOLIDAY PAY, VACATION, SICK LEAVE, and ANY rights you have. In our office, we have 3 bloodsucking scabs that kiss management’s butts every chance they get. They get the benefit of the negotiations that we pay for, and they stab the rest of us in the back. Your pay scale is NOT FREE, you idiots that hate unions. ARE YOU STUPID? Obviously, you are. As well as being ingrates. Our Managers come in on weekends and do our work so they don’t have to pay us to do it. They are weasels and horrible people. Upper management will add a ridiculous amount of work on you to keep their jobs. With over 50,000 workers retiring, why hasn’t there been a major management layoff? The APWU does a fine job. Ever contacted your Congressman on your own or went to a Union Meeting? Then Shut Up.

29. justme

November 6, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Well, Mary Ann, I guess you can thank your wonderful union for the fact that your managers are doing your work for you over the weekend. File a grievance. Yeah, good luck with that. Especially when they side with management.

30. what D.Eff

November 26, 2013 at 7:45 am

My advice, thoroughly familiarize yourselves with your respective CBA, your Congressperson and Senator’s contact info. and most importantly, your local Dept. of Labor Rep. and don’t be afraid to contact them if you feel “ufairly represented.” These people work for you too!

31. EX APWU Stew

December 7, 2013 at 1:41 am

Alan the same thing happened to me. I served as a Union Steward for a bunch of years and as the Vice President. (The same thing happened to our Clerk Craft Director) I am a former Boilermakers Steward that walked a picket line for 190 days at Electric Boat in Groton Ct. I saw guys lose a lot and got screwed there as well. I got out of this lame orginization (APWU) that I won’t even call a Union. This is what happens when you don’t even have to “Buy a Book” to get in. You get idiots in a big popularity contest. As for securing my job God does that. I’m a DAV and I’ve worked in a shipyard, been a Federal police Officer and worked for the USPS. I’m 2 years past retirement and next year am opening my own business that will have no Union a promise you.

32. Paris

December 29, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I do not think that a postal employee should lose their standing, and be treated like a new worthless hire just because they transferred. I lost everything I worked hard for to be near my ailing, aging parents. The seniority system is a gross injustice because we all work for the same company (USPS) and our years should count wherever we are! I got out of the union too.

33. babiay

February 15, 2014 at 12:59 pm

APWU union stewards are friends of Supervisors and managers. thats good have no issues.but they are not supporting for the members regarding their right. Union is in active. i been 22 years in post office. I saw PSE are good workers. they wont make them regular

34. Jason

April 19, 2014 at 1:40 am

I’ve worked in a union facility in Texas for four years and never joined. My head union steward who never had an issue with me is now bullying me to join and leaving registration cards in my lunch box and calling me out on my breaks. How professional is that. I know I’m smarter than him, a better person than him, and a harder worker. I’m above retaliating, but have turned him and his buddies into my HR dept only to have them come back and give me a harder time. How do I get him removed from his position and move past this? I’m looking for a new job now that I have experience in my field but I don’t even want to come to work anymore. Any suggestions?

Jason – possibly the National Labor Relations Board here: http://www.nlrb.gov/ – here’s their statement:

“The National Labor Relations Board is an independent federal agency vested with the power to safeguard employees’ rights to organize and to determine whether to have unions as their bargaining representative. The agency also acts to prevent and remedy unfair labor practices committed by private sector employers and unions.”

35. lauren

April 25, 2014 at 7:40 pm

I have been with the postal service ice for 29 years and have paid my union dues for the same.I was out of work for over 2 years, 2009 to 2011. I had to fight to get my own job back because my union president showed up to the meetings but never spoke a word on my behalf, I did all of the talking. I finally got my job back in November of 2011 and my union president sat in my house and filed the ffirst CA7 for the year of 2010 and I filed all subsequent CA7 forms. To date I have not received the monies owed me for the time that I was out of work. When I contact the union president and ask questions, he had the nerve to ask if I filed a CA7 and I replied to him that he sat in my house and filed the first one, he has not contacted me since. I asked if we could refile or if we can request all and any paperwork pertaining to the CA7s that were submitted by certified, return receipt by the way and he still has not responded. I too am going to exit the union because they absolutely do nothing for me.I have always been a hard worker for my office and I was treated unfairly by a new post master, I almost lost everything that I have worked so hard to get, and the union is only concerned about getting the union dues. My shop steward has never filed a claim on my behalf but she complains about the union president doesn’t care or do anything for its union members. Why should anyone join the union for this kind of treatment?

36. lauren

April 25, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Just a side note, I returned back to work in November of 2011 and here we are in the year of 2014, should it take this long to get my money and should I sue the union for misrepresentation?

37. Edez

June 24, 2014 at 3:35 pm

I”m getting out the union after 20 plus years because the president and vice president are a bunch of gutless cowards who just want union dues. here my story. I have demonstrated at every union function along with my kids, I was a shop steward for 5 years and took on the worst of management with no help from the two cowards who never came to my office see what was wrong but yet one of them goes to the strip club for lunch because one of the carriers has seen him there when he delivers! I have personally collected money for the mda and donated my personal property to the bowl a thon, if that’s not enough I donated my d.j services to the mda for free and dj the union picnic for $250 when the last d.j was charging 600! 6 months ago to prove a point to management that you could be a good supervisor without giving out discipline I became a 204b. I looked after the carrier even when I caught them not using seat belts.(I told them that they must use the seat belt for their safety). any how unbeknown to me the carriers were working with the union to take my route away the minute I went over 4 months! I didn’t find out until after the grievance was filed. these cowards couldn’t call me and warn me that unless I went back to my route they would have no choice but to file a grievance. I just received a letter that my route will go up for bid which means that if i don’t get my route back I will be an unassigned regular. that was the last straw, I will not give one more cent to these cowards and I didn’t mention I have been giving to colcep for years. My anniversary date is coming up and my resignation is on its way. Good luck to you 1690 you going to need it!

38. Richard Graham

September 18, 2014 at 6:29 am

I got out of the Albany NY Local for awhile due to some problems I had with some of the Officers there. When they finally left they kept telling me I should get back in. So I was talki9ng with one of my friends I had started with a long time ago and he said I should get back in and I agreed with him and did. I joined again. Now every time the Vice President sees me he reminds me that I got out and that he never did. I’m to the point maybe I should not have got back in. I can retire anytime I want why should I care? Well the reason I got back in was to try and help since I figured I could get some other people to get back in as well and also because I felt bad for the younger people that couldn’t retire. But now I see why no one wants a part of them. I was a Boilermaker in Local 614 went on strike walked a picket line some thing none of them know about and I can tell you if someone got back in I would welcome them like the Prodigal son. Not badger them every time you see them. Now why did I get back In ?

39. Greycoat

September 18, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Burrus sounds to me like a gangster union thug who would cry “foul” and “not responsible” if someone in the named list he in retribution posted was singled out and hurt for not joining. Government employees should not be allowed to unionize period. Even the Democrat stalwart FDR was opposed to government unionization for it pits the people against the government and induces politicians, via union donations, to put the special interest groups, like the postal union, above the interests of the people. Unionized government employees is an open invitation for graft and corruption.